The INSIDER Summary:
- Madeleine Schneider-Weiffenbach is a licensed pilot, but couldn’t find a good job in the industry.
- The German native decided to become a travel blogger instead.
- She’s enjoying travelling the world with her boyfriend, but still hopes to work as a pilot someday.
Madeleine Schneider-Weiffenbach has spent a good chunk of her life in the air.
After earning her pilot’s licence, she had trouble finding a job with an airline, so she channeled her love of flying and travel into a different career path. These days, she’s a passenger more often than a pilot as she shares her adventures on her blog, Pilot Madeleine, and on Instagram, where she has 760,000 followers.
She keeps her licence current just in case, though.
INSIDER spoke to “Pilot Madeleine” about her enviable travels.
'Being a blonde woman, you're always underestimated,' she told INSIDER. 'People always think that you're not as good as the guys, so of course in flight school I had a lot of issues sometimes where flight instructors or peers didn't think that I was good enough.'
'At the beginning I only had an aviation account, and then I started to post a bit more about my personal life, about fitness and food, and lots of travelling, and it became so popular that after one year I did my MBA, and I could live off it,' she said.
She's lost count of how many places she's been to so far, but ranks Hawaii as her favourite destination.
'It works really well,' she said of travelling together. 'You get to know each other much more than if you just see each other not so often. I always tell people if you want to get to know someone, travel with them.'
While she loves to blog about her time flying around the world, she eventually hopes to return to her other dream job: being in command of the cockpit.
'I would still love to do it,' she said. 'For me, I was just so lucky to have another option which is also super amazing.'
More from INSIDER:
- Everything about the ‘Bachelor in Paradise’ sex scandal and what’s next
- I tried Goop’s ‘Working Girl’ detox and I should have expected how unrealistic it was
- 13 long-term couples reveal their secrets for how to make love last
- 5 reasons why being the middle child is actually the best
- Elizabeth Olsen had ‘no experience’ with Instagram before making her movie about Instagram
NOW WATCH: Ideas videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.