Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I’m healthcare editor Leah Rosenbaum, and today in healthcare news:
- Home healthcare company MedArrive shares its Series A pitch deck;
- Alzheimer’s drug company Cassava Sciences under government investigation;
- Dr. Anthony Fauci says that every adult in the US should be getting a COVID-19 booster shot.
First, I wanted to let you know that we’re now accepting nominations for our inagural list of the most influential women in psychedelics.
We’re looking for women who are working both at non-profit and for-profit psychedelics companies including company executives, investors, advocates, researchers, lawmakers, founders, analysts, bankers, and philanthropists.
Know someone who would be great? Submit their name here by December 15.
See the 16-slide presentation a former Uber exec used to raise $US25 ($AU34) million to tackle the growing in-home care market
- MedArrive works with EMS companies, hospitals, and insurance plans to offer in-home care.
- It raised $US25 ($AU34) million in Series A funding led by Section 32 on Wednesday.
- See the 16-slide presentation the startup used to raise the funding.
- Cassava Sciences disclosed Monday that it’s being investigated by undisclosed government agencies.
- The biotech is testing a treatment for Alzheimer’s disease that is being scrutinized by scientists.
- Cassava didn’t disclose details of the investigations, but petitions have been filed with the FDA.
Dr. Fauci: Stop ‘overthinking’ boosters — giving every adult an extra shot will keep people out of hospital
- Dr. Anthony Fauci wants essentially all vaccinated adults to know that “they can go ahead” and get boosted after 6 months.
- Fauci says there’s “confusion out there” about who should get boosted. “Make it really simple.”
- “The effect of boost is very, very favorable to preventing people from getting infected,” Fauci said. Other experts express caution about over-vaccinating young adults.
More stories we’re reading:
- A scientist tracking the coronavirus predicts it will keep mutating to avoid the immune response — but at a slower rate than before (Insider)
- Ascension, one of the largest hospital systems in the US, is also working as a private equity firm (STAT News)
- Authorities in India are planning a new lockdown not to combat COVID-19, but air pollution (Insider)
- The Biden administration will soon announce a deal to buy 10 million courses of a COVID-19 antiviral pill from Pfizer(Washington Post)