Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I’m Megan Hernbroth, and I regularly cover startups and venture capital here on the healthcare team. Today in healthcare news:
- Runny nose and headaches are common symptoms of the new Delta coronavirus variant;
- One Medical’s acquisition of Iora Health opens up the future of primary care; and
- Mental health startups are betting their futures on preventative approaches to mental-health care.
- The Delta variant has taken over in the UK where the most common symptom reported is now a headache.
- Most people who are getting COVID-19 in the UK are quite young, and not fully vaccinated.
- Delta’s also coming for the US fast, already accounting for more than 20% of sequenced cases, with a doubling time of about two weeks.
These 9 startups are reimagining primary care in the wake of One Medical’s $2.1 billion takeover of Iora Health
- The primary-care company One Medical is snapping up competitor Iora Health in a $2.1 billion deal.
- Investors have poured hundreds of millions into companies blending in-person and virtual care, but many remain inaccessible to many patients.
- Insider identified 9 companies that are at the forefront of reimagining primary care in a post-COVID healthcare system.
A new generation of mental health startups are working toward a healthcare system where prevention comes first
- Despite a push to destigmatize common conditions like depression and anxiety, the vast majority of Americans still face systemic barriers in treating their mental health conditions.
- Startups are using technology to expand access to basic mental health services and preventive care.
- While the existing healthcare system is nowhere near a major overhaul, a new crop of technology-enabled options targeting milder conditions and prevention hope to chip away at the larger problem.
More stories we’re reading today:
- New York’s state of emergency is ending as COVID-19 cases continue to fall (Insider)
- A new study found prenatal exposure to ultra-fine particles increased a child’s risk of asthma (STAT News)
- India is tracking a new mutated coronavirus strain that health officials call ‘Delta Plus’ (Insider)
- Chance meetings at the office do little to boost innovation, contrary to management’s claims (The New York Times)