- Even though many shopping malls are currently suffering, some are doing surprisingly well.
- The most valuable malls in America are worth well over $US2 billion each, according to a CNBC report on data from Boenning & Scattergood.
- The most successful malls often include features like pop-up shops, luxury outlets, and experiential stores.
Despite the retail apocalypse claiming stores across the country, some of the most successful malls in the US are bringing in more than $US1,000 per square foot in sales.
According to research by the boutique firm Boenning & Scattergood, which was reported by CNBC, the 20 most valuable malls in America bring in around $US21 billion in retail sales each year. These malls, owned by the likes of Simon Property Group and Westfield, have few vacancies. In addition to traditional stores, many of the most valuable malls include food halls with local eateries, pop-up shops, and grocers, plus experiences like movie screenings or concerts.
See inside the most valuable malls in America:
10. Roosevelt Field Mall: Located in Garden City, New York, this mall has over 250 stores, including an entire luxury wing, a food court that includes vegetarian and kosher options, and a mini golf course in the basement. It’s valued at $US2.41 billion.
This is what the luxury wing looks like.
9. Westfield Garden State Plaza: The Westfield Garden State Plaza in Paramus, New Jersey, is worth $US2.71 billion. It has more than 300 shops, including a luxury wing with stores like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Tiffany & Co., and Burberry.
8. King of Prussia Mall: The King of Prussia mall in Pennsylvania recently underwent an expansion, and it now has over 400 stores. The new wing has floor-to-ceiling windows, lounges, and concierge-like guest services. It’s valued at $US2.77 billion.
Here is another look at the gorgeous interior of the King of Prussia mall.
7. Forum Shops at Caesars: Located in Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, the Forum Shops has an aquarium, talking statues, and countless luxury shops and restaurants. Its estimated value is $US2.79 billion.
Here’s another look at the interior.
6. Tysons Corner Center: The McLean, Virginia mall is worth $US2.92 billion, surrounded by luxury hotels and apartments, and features panoramic views of Washington, DC, from the top.
The center hosts events in its courtyard, including a summer concert series.
5. Fashion Show: Located on the Las Vegas Strip, this mall has 250 stores, 25 dining choices, and eight department stores. It’s worth $US3.06 billion.
It also has live runway shows on weekends.
4. Woodbury Common Premium Outlets: The outlets are worth $US3.2 billion, featuring luxury stores at discounted prices and its own trolly system that runs throughout the commons.
3. Oakbrook Center: This multi-level outdoor shopping center is located outside Chicago and worth $US3.5 billion.
2. Sawgrass Mills: Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise, Florida, is one of the largest outlet malls in the US and is worth over $US4 billion. It has more than 350 stores and remains a massive tourist attraction.
Here’s a look at the inside.
1. Ala Moana Center: The Ala Moana Center in Honolulu, Hawaii, is the largest open-air shopping center in the world, and it’s worth nearly $US6 billion.
Mahalo #Hawaii for joining us on such a beautiful #4thofjuly day! Stores close at 7pm, #MakaiMarket Food Court closes at 8pm. Please join us for the #AlaMoanaCenter #Fireworks Spectacular at 8:30pm! Tune into @ksskhawaii for the soundtrack. . . . . #happy4thofjuly #lethawaiihappen #gohawaii #visitoahu #ewawing #blueskies #hawaiishopping #ighawaii #hawaiistagram #hawaiilife #luckywelivehawaii
The mall has luxury stores, koi ponds, a VR roller coaster, and countless other attractions.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.