- I recently made Ina Garten’s easy breakfast tacos, and the dish took me just 15 minutes.
- Garten’s breakfast tacos include scrambled eggs, avocado slices, and Chipotle hot sauce.
- I loved how fluffy the eggs were, and the tacos made for a light and flavorful breakfast.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“We were thinking about breakfast recipes and she suggested her favorite breakfast tacos,” Garten wrote. “Corn tortillas, scrambled eggs, Monterey Jack cheese, and avocado — who wouldn’t want that for breakfast?”
Plus, as a California girl, there are few things I love more than tacos. So I picked up my ingredients and got cooking.
- 8 extra-large eggs
- 8 white-corn tortillas (Garten recommends the 6-inch (15cm))
- 6 scallions
- Monterey Jack cheese (grated)
- 1 avocado
- Chipotle hot sauce or Tabasco
As they cooked, I heated the cast-iron skillet that I was going to toast the tortillas on.
Garten recommends letting the cheese melt on the tortilla before transferring it to a plate. Repeat the steps for all eight tacos, placing two tacos on each plate.
Then I turned off the stove, allowing the residual heat in the pan to finish cooking the eggs before transferring them to a plate.
Then I added the slices of avocado and the reserved scallion greens.
And when I checked the clock, I realized it had only taken me about 15 minutes to make breakfast tacos for four people — a huge bonus!
It was time to dig in.
My mom loved how light the tacos were, although she thought they could use some salsa. We added some tomato and loved the extra flavor it gave each bite, acting almost like a pico de gallo.
I’ll also definitely throw in more cheese the next time I make this, either adding it to the eggs or sprinkling more on top of my finished tacos.
Overall, though, I think Garten’s breakfast tacos are another great dish to add to your morning repertoire — especially when you want to mix things up.