- 2018 marks the first time ever that Imax grossed $US1 billion at the global box office.
- “Avengers: Infinity War” was the highest global Imax performer of the year.
With 2018 coming to an end, the studios are counting their stacks of money and finding that the industry is poised to break box office records by New Year’s Eve (the domestic box office has already passed the all-time record set in 2016 of $US11.37 billion), and it looks like a big assist came from Imax.
The large-format screen company raked in over $US1 billion at the global box office in 2018, marking the first time in the company’s 50 year existence it has ever hit that milestone, according to a press release on Monday.
Imax noted that homegrown titles from China, Korea, Japan, Russia, and India that played on the format made up a combined box office of more than $US100 million, but it’s still the big blockbusters from Hollywood that are the major draw. And audiences came out in droves to see them on the huge Imax screens.
Here are the 10 highest-grossing Imax titles of 2018, with one being the highest:
10. “The Meg”
9. “Ant-Man and the Wasp”
8. “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”
(Still in theatres.)
5. “Ready Player One”
4. “Mission: Impossible – Fallout”
3. “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”
2. “Black Panther”
1. “Avengers: Infinity War”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.