- IHOP changed its name to IHOb to promote its new burger line, the chain announced on Monday.
- The news exploded on social media, sparking intense pancake cravings among IHOP loyalists.
- The pancake obsession is actually good news for IHOP (or IHOb), as the chain is still serving up pancakes even under the IHOb brand.
In the aftermath of the news that IHOP is temporarily rebranding as IHOb, many pancake lovers freaked out on social media.
“International House of B—-, I’m still ordering pancakes,”Youtube star Kingsley tweeted, summing up the mindset of many IHOP loyalists.
In fact, for many, IHOP’s decision to seemingly distance itself from pancakes actually sparked a craving for the breakfast food.
The only success of the IHOP rebranding thing is I've seen enough tweets making fun of IHOP that it's put me in a permanent state of pancake craving. Except there's no IHOP near me so I'm making my own.
— Theo Lorenz (@TheoNicole) June 11, 2018
Is anyone else really craving pancakes now besides me? pic.twitter.com/2paXkpXxCj
— Kate Burton (@kateburton_usf) June 11, 2018
Gosh darn it, all this IHOP talk has got me craving some pancakes with bacon on the side. If @IHOP really wanted to make a publicity splash, why not invest in pancake drones?
— CamemBears and PampleMoose (@causesbella) June 11, 2018
With IHOP – or IHOb – dominating social media, pancakes were front and center in many people’s minds.
Now that IHOP changed its name, I’m craving pancakes and I don’t even like pancakes
— Nicole f. (@nicolee_is_boss) June 11, 2018
But now I’m craving pancakes so maybe it’s working
— Meredith Goldstein (@MeredithGoldste) June 11, 2018
At first glance, this seems like it could be bad news for IHOb. After all, the chain changed its name to celebrate the debut of its new burger line.
https://t.co/3tAxPBUPrC Lol wut? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now I have a craving for pancakes.
— Zak Zakaryas (@ZakZakaryas) June 11, 2018
— Sarah Howell (@sarahjenhowell) June 11, 2018
I HATE IHOB GO BACK TO IHOP I WANT PANCAKES NOW
— hi welcome to BOB EVANS (@stupidtweets667) June 11, 2018
However, IHOP is not taking pancakes off the menu. In fact, you can order a pancake as a side to go along with the new burgers.
Hmmmm…I mean I am craving pancakes right now so maybe they're onto something…
— SoapJenn ???? (@SoapJenn) June 11, 2018
“The pancakes haven’t gone anywhere … They’re still there. They’re on the cover of the menu,” IHOP’s president, Darren Rebelez, told Business Insider on Monday.
“Just because we have pancakes doesn’t mean we can’t do anything but pancakes. That’s what we’re after: Giving more people more reasons to come to IHOP more often.”
Everything you need to know about IHOb:
- IHOP has revealed why it changed its name to IHOb, and it represents a massive new strategy for the chain
- IHOP’s decision to change its name to IHOb has been brewing for more than a year
- ‘The pancakes aren’t going anywhere’: IHOP’s president tells customers not to panic over the chain’s IHOb rebrand
- IHOP has revealed the reason behind its big name change, and some people are disappointed
- Wendy’s and other burger chains are slamming IHOP for its ‘IHOb’ rebrand
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.