- The IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 80,000 points after you spend $US2,000 in the first three months.
- Even without factoring in this welcome offer, the card is worth considering. It offers a strong selection of benefits for a reasonable $US89 annual fee.
- You get an annual free night to use at hotels that cost up to 40,000 points, complimentary Platinum IHG status, and a Global Entry application fee credit.
- Currently, you’ll also earn 25x points on IHG purchases for the first 12 months.
Chase recently increased the sign-up bonus on the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, along with adding a temporary boost to the card’s earning rate. While the card’s benefits have always been generous, the latest improvements are pretty significant.
If you’re unfamiliar with the world of hotel credit cards and wondering whether this card is worth getting, you’re in the right place. Below is a breakdown of the IHG Rewards Club Premier Card’s features and who will benefit the most from having this card.
The best hotel credit cards
IHG Rewards Club Premier card details
Annual fee: $US89
Sign-up bonus: 80,000 points after you spend $US2,000 in the first three months
Points earning: 25x points on IHG purchases for the first 12 months (then 10x), 2x at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants, and 1 point per dollar on everything else
Foreign transaction fee: None
Currently, you can earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $US2,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
With this bonus, you can earn a minimum of one free night at a top-tier hotel and upwards of 16 free nights at a PointBreaks property. Any good hotel credit card sign-up bonus should offer a minimum of one free night at a top-tier hotel. The IHG Rewards Club Premier card delivers on that front and offers plenty of options for redeeming those rewards.
Whether it’s an overwater villa in French Polynesia or a Candlewood Suites in the suburbs, there’s a wide range of ways to get maximum value out off IHG points. Free nights range from 10,000 to 70,000 points. IHG also releases a monthly PointBreaks list, consisting of hotels that can be booked for as few as 5,000 points per night.
The 80,000-point sign-up bonus from the IHG Rewards Club Premier card could cover one to 16 free hotel nights. That doesn’t even include the fourth night free benefit offered to cardholders.
Below are some examples of some of IHG’s best hotels you might want to book with your points:
- InterContinental Le Moana Bora Bora (70,000 points per night)
- Kimpton Fitzroy London (70,000 points per night)
- Hotel Indigo Hong Kong Island (45,000 points per night)
- Kimpton Dewitt Amsterdam (55,000 points per night)
- Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa (70,000 points per night)
The category bonuses on the IHG Rewards Club Premier Card have been significantly improved with the current sign-up offer. In addition to the usual earning rate, cardholders now qualify for bonus points during the 12 months of account opening:
- 40 points total per dollar at IHG hotels for the first 12 months – that’s 25x points at IHG Hotels and Resorts for the first 12 months from account opening as an IHG Rewards Club Premier cardholder, plus 10x points from IHG for being an IHG Rewards Club member and 5x points from IHG with Platinum elite status, which is a benefit of this card. After that, earn 10x points at IHG Hotels and Resorts
The card also earns 2x points at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants, and 1 point per dollar on everything else.
With this current offer, the card is hugely rewarding for IHG stays. Its 2x bonus categories line up with common everyday expenses for many potential cardholders, but 2x isn’t a very impressive rate of return considering that The Points Guy values IHG points at just 0.5 cents apiece.
In exchange for its $US89 annual fee, the IHG Rewards Club Premier card offers lots of impressive benefits. For starters, cardholders receive a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit of up to $US100 every four years. This is a benefit that is usually included on credit cards with annual fees that are more than $US450, like the Platinum Card® from American Express and Citi Prestige.
Cardholders also get a fourth night free on point stays of four or more nights. That translates to a 25% savings on four-night award stays. This can help stretch your sign-up bonus from the IHG Rewards Club Premier card even further.
Cardholders also get automatic IHG Platinum elite status. That’s the second-highest tier within the IHG Rewards Club program and normally requires completing 40 nights. IHG Platinum members are eligible for room upgrades, 50% bonus earnings on paid bookings, two free Amazon Kindle ebooks per quarter, and a $US30 in-room spa and Raid the Bar credits at participating hotels.
To keep cardholders loyal, the IHG Rewards Club Premier card issues a free night each year after your card anniversary. This free night can be used at any IHG hotel worldwide that costs up to 40,000 points per night, making it a terrific value in exchange for the $US89 annual fee.
Finally, you can earn 10,000 bonus points after you spend $US20,000 on purchases and make one additional purchase at least one day after you spend $US20,000 each account anniversary year.
Who should get this card?
Whether or not you’re loyal to IHG, the IHG Rewards Club Premier card offers tremendous value. It doesn’t take much to get your money’s worth out of the card. Aside from the generous sign-up bonus, the recurring benefits make this card a keeper.
The annual free night alone is worth the $US89 annual fee, and the fourth night free on award stays can help your points stretch further. Having IHG Platinum status is a nice bonus that can translate to valuable benefits and point earnings on paid stays.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.