- Charlize Theron’s last name is often mispronounced.
- It should be “Their-IN,” not “Their-OWN.”
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Charlize Theron has been giving us kick-arse movie performances for years.
The Oscar-winning South African actress, 43, is changing things up with her latest role as the lead in the romantic comedy “Long Shot” with Seth Rogen. But as people talk about the movie, they may be saying her name wrong.
To pronounce Theron correctly, it’s supposed to sound more like “Their-IN,” not “Their-OWN.”
While on NBC’s “The Tonight Show” in 2014, Theron and host Jimmy Fallon spoke about the correct pronunciation. She said she wanted to create an audio recording for people to listen to so they could get it right.
But back on an episode of “Piers Morgan Tonight” in 2011, the actress had already given the proper pronunciation of her name. And it’s more like “Throne,” with a slightly lilted “r.” You can listen below.
So go ahead and practice, so you can get it right.
- Read more about Charlize Theron:
- 11 of the most alarming examples of Hollywood’s gender pay gap
- Charlize Theron arrived to the Oscars showing off a new brunette bob and it left viewers stunned
- Dwayne Johnson says he’d pick Charlize Theron as a running mate if he ever ran for president
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.