- You can use Netflix codes to browse everything from broad genre categories to oddly specific movie tastes.
- When you use a Netflix code, you’ll be shown all the movies and TV shows in the category or genre attached to that code.
- Netflix codes are a great way to find TV shows or films you can’t find normally, as they’re hidden from Netflix’s homepage.
- To use a Netflix code, you’ll need to be using the Netflix website on a desktop or laptop computer.
- This story is a part of Business Insider’s Guide to Netflix Tips and Tricks.
In the age of streaming, it’s easy to find yourself scrolling forever looking for something to watch. At times, it can feel like finding something worth your attention among the mountains of uninteresting content is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Luckily for Netflix users, the streamer has made it easier to find that needle thanks to its a cheat-sheet of codes. Assigned to specific genres, age groups, regions of the world, or even highly specialised content themes, Netflix codes let you break free of the algorithm and find your newest obsession or your favourite classic.
Netflix codes are a string of numbers, frequently around four to five digits, that are assigned to different subsets of the site. They can be standard genres like “Classic Romantic Movies” and “Creature Features” or incredibly specific such as “Wine and Beverage Appreciation” and “Sentimental Movies About Horses for Ages 11 to 12.”
If you know the code, you add it to the backend of the right Netlfix link and you’ll be taken to every TV show and film that the streamer has categorised under that code.
Whether you’ve already got a code or are still looking for the right one, here’s how to use Netflix codes to find hidden treasures on the streaming platform.
How to use Netflix codes
1. Select a code from here.
2. Copy the code you want to use.
3. Log in to your Netflix account.
4. Type “https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/CODE” (without the quotation marks) into the browser address bar.
5. Paste the Netflix code you copied where “CODE” is in the URL. For example, the action-comedy movies link looks like this: https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/43040.
6. Click enter and begin browsing your code’s curated film and TV selections.
Netflix codes you may want to use
- Wine and beverage appreciation: 1458
- Cerebral Scandanavian movies: 995
- Korean crime thrillers: 434
- Creature features: 6895
- Campy movies: 1252
- Satires: 4922
- Tearjerkers: 6384
- Westerns: 7700
- Screwball comedies: 9702
- Cult TV shows: 74652
- Goofy courtroom movies: 285
Related coverage from
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.