- You can use the Google Meet app on an iPhone to invite others to a meeting or to accept an invite and join other meetings, among other features.
- With the iPhone Google Meet app, you can make video calls of up to 100 people and one hour in length.
- Once you join a Google Meet, tap the three-dot menu button to share your screen, invite more attendees, turn on captions, and more.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Google Meet is a video chat service that is no longer limited to only G Suite subscribers, but is now free for everyone who has a Google account. Up to 100 people can join a Meet call at once, and calls can be up to 60 minutes long â€” though Google may not enforce that time limit, so it’s possible you can place calls of longer or even unlimited length.
How to get started with Google Meet
To use Google Meet on your iPhone, you’ll need to install the app from the App Store. When you run the app for the first time, if you have more than one Google account connected to your iPhone, you’ll need to choose which account you want to use with Meet. After that, you’re ready to place a call.
How to start a Google Meet on your iPhone
1. Start the Meet app and then tap “New meeting” at the top of the screen.
2. In the pop-up, tap “Start an instant meeting.”
3. The meeting will begin and you’ll see meeting information for your attendees. To send the information to other people, tap “Share invite” and choose how you want to share it â€” via text message or email, for example. Alternatively, you can tap the “Copy” icon (which looks like two overlapping rectangles) to paste into a message on your own.
You have a few other options as well. If you want to start a meeting â€” but not immediately â€” you can tap “New meeting” and then “Get joining info to share.” You’ll need to share the info so others can join the meeting, and you’ll need to use that same info to start the meeting.
If you prefer, you can schedule a meeting in Google Calendar for a later date and time. If you tap “Schedule in Google Calendar,” the Calendar app will open and you can set up a Google Meet as an appointment and invite attendees at the same time.
How to join someone else’s Google Meet on your iPhone
To join a meeting, you’ll need an invite from the meeting organiser. You should generally receive this in email, as a text message, or in a Google Calendar meeting invite.
The easiest way to join the meeting is to tap the link, which will open the Google Meet app and notify the meeting organiser to let you join.
Alternatively, you can start the Google Meet app and tap “Join a meeting.” You’ll need to type or paste the meeting code from the meeting invitation.
How to use Google Meet during a meeting
After clicking the link or entering the meeting code, if you are the meeting organiser, you’ll need to tap “Join” to start the meeting. If you are an attendee, tap “Ask to join.”
If the menu overlay in your meeting is not visible, tap the screen. You should see icons to end the call, toggle the camera and microphone on and off, and open the options menu. To see your options, tap the three dots at the lower right of the screen. In the pop-up screen, among other options, you can:
- Add others â€” this lets you share the joining info with additional people.
- Send in-call messages â€” tap this to send a message to the other attendees in a chat window while the call is going on.
- Share screen â€” share your screen with the other attendees.
- Turn on captions â€” enable this to see closed captions, created in real time, as each person speaks.
- embed type