- You can update Google Chrome on your computer or mobile device in a few quick steps.
- Google Chrome updates automatically on desktop computers, but there may be times when you need to manually update.
- Your bookmarks and other saved data will not be affected when the browser is updated.
- Updating Google Chrome on mobile is the same as updating other apps on your device.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Google Chrome updates automatically as new versions are released on a computer. However, there may be times when you want or need to manually check for updates and install.
There are a couple of ways to check for updates on desktop, but updating on mobile is the same as updating other apps from your phone’s app store.
How to update Google Chrome on your computer
1. Open Google Chrome then, click the hamburger menu (three dots) at the top right corner of the browser.
2. Click “Update Google Chrome” if it’s available from the menu. You’ll only see this option if an update is available.
3. Click “Relaunch” once Google Chrome has updated. You can choose to update later if you would rather wait.
Tips for updating Chrome on desktop
- If you notice a small arrow in place of your three dot menu, updates have already been downloaded and you need to restart Google Chrome to apply the update. The arrow will change colour to indicate how many days an update has been available.
- Any open tabs will reopen when Google Chrome relaunches so you don’t lose them.
- Your bookmarks, settings, and extensions will not be affected.
- If you need to check your browser’s version number, you can find it under Help > About Google Chrome.
- You can continue to use Google Chrome normally while updates are downloading.
How to update Google Chrome on your Android device
1. Launch the Google Play Store on your phone or tablet.
2. From the menu, tap “My apps & games.” Lists of your apps will be available under two sections, “Installed” and “Updates.”
3. Look for Google Chrome under the Updates section. Tap “Update” next to the Google Chrome app name to begin the update.
Alternatively, find the Google Chrome app under the Installed section. An update is available when the update button is visible next to the name of the app. Tap “Update” to begin updating.
Tips for updating Chrome on Android
- You will not lose any open tabs after Google Chrome updates.
- Saved bookmarks and other settings will not be affected.
- You may not be able to use Google Chrome while it’s being updated.
How to update Google Chrome on your iPhone or iPad
1. Launch the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap the Updates option at the bottom of the App Store.
3. Look for Google Chrome in the list of your pending updates.
4. Tap the update button to download and install the latest version. Enter your Apple ID if prompted.
Tips for updating Chrome on iPhone or iPad
- You may not be able to use Google Chrome while it’s updating.
- You will not lose any open tabs after the app has been updated.
- Any saved bookmarks or other settings will be unaffected by the update.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.