- To turn off the password on your Android device, start the Settings app and go to the Lock Screen controls page.
- Turning off the password on your Android can be convenient, but will leave all of your personal data at risk.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
You can completely disable your Android’s security systems so you don’t need to enter a password, swipe pattern, or do anything else to unlock it. This is useful if you’re going to be unlocking your device multiple times over a short period, or if you need to let someone who doesn’t know your password use it.
That said, you probably keep a lot of personal information on your device â€” maybe more than you realise. Having a password keeps all of that information safe. As such, it’s not a good idea to disable your password for any extended period of time.
But if you need to disable the password, it can be done easily. The exact steps differ between Android devices, but the overall process is the same. Here’s what to do.
How to turn off your password and other security systems on an Android device
1. Start the Settings app on your Android device.
2. Tap “Lock Screen.” Depending on which version of Android or what device you’re using, you’ll find it in a slightly different place. Many Android phones place this option on the main Settings page. If you don’t see it there, look for “Security & Location” or “Security & Privacy.”
3. Tap “Screen lock type” (or, in some cases, just “Screen lock”). You should see a list of the current login methods currently in use, such as PIN, password, or face recognition. You’ll need to enter your current password, PIN, or other security method before proceeding.
4. Tap “None” to disable all the security on your phone’s lock screen. You’ll probably need to confirm this choice by agreeing to turn off security and erasing biometric data from your phone (if it’s using biometrics to let you log in).
- embed type
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.