- You can turn off Discord notifications on a server-by-server or user-by-user basis.
- When you turn off notifications for a channel, you won’t be alerted to unread messages.
- In your settings, you can turn off the message alert sounds, as well as desktop notifications.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Discord has many features for disabling notifications, both broad and narrow. You can disable notifications from individual people or servers, and even turn off any sort of notification sound or icon.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to turn off Discord notifications for a specific user
To stop receiving notifications from a specific person, you have two options.
The first and easiest is to block them. This will stop you from receiving any notifications if they @ mention you, and also hides every message they send in any server you share (you can see the messages at any time, but you’ll need to click a “Show message” button).
To block someone on desktop, right-click their username and select “Block.”
To block someone in the mobile app, tap their username, and then the three dots at the top-right of the menu that appears. Then tap “Block.”
If you don’t want to go as far as blocking, you can also mute the user. This will let them message you, and let you see their messages, but you won’t receive any notifications when they message you directly.
To mute another user, which can only be done in the desktop app, navigate to your private messages with them and right-click their name in the left sidebar. Select “Mute” from the drop-down menu and pick how long you’d like them to be muted for.
How to turn off Discord notifications for a specific channel
When you mute a channel, you won’t receive any notifications from messages inside of it. If someone @ mentions you, you’ll still see the red notification dot next to it, however.
1. Enter the server that has a channel you want to mute, and open the channel.
2. In the desktop app, right-click the channel’s name and select “Mute channel.” You can then pick how long you’d like to mute the channel for. You can also click the bell icon to mute a channel indefinitely.
3. In the mobile app, tap the channel’s name at the top of the screen, and then the bell icon in the menu that appears. You’ll then be able to pick how long you’d like to mute the channel for, or change your settings to only be notified about @ mentions.
Image 2: Muting a server channel.
How to turn off Discord notifications for a specific server
Muting a server will mute every channel inside of it all at once.
1. Find the icon of the server whose notifications you want to mute in your server list and right-click on it.
2. Select “Mute Server” and pick how long you’d like to mute it for.
1. Open the server you want to mute and tap its name at the top of the channel list.
2. Select the “Notifications” option from the menu that appears.
3. Select the “Mute” option at the very top of the next page, and select how long you’d like to keep the server muted for.
How to disable all Discord notification sounds and desktop alerts
1. Click the gear icon at the bottom-left of the application window to open your settings.
2. Select “Notifications” from the sidebar on the left.
3. This will bring up a host of different options. Here, you can turn off message and notification sounds, as well as desktop notifications (these are the alerts your computer sends you when you receive a message).
On mobile, the way to disable notifications will depend on what sort of phone you have. For information on this, check out our articles, “How to turn off notifications on your iPhone for individual apps, or adjust the types of notifications you receive” and “How to turn off notifications on your Samsung Galaxy S10 in 2 different ways.”
- embed type
- embed type
- embed type
- embed type
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.