- You can transfer photos from your iPhone to a PC or Mac computer, which is a great way to keep your data safe, and clear out space on your iPhone.
- To transfer your photos from the iPhone to your computer, you’ll need to use your computer’s native Photos app.
- You’ll also need to connect your iPhone to the computer using a charging cable.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you have an iPhone, you also have a professional-quality camera that can catch great pictures wherever you are.
But storage for photos is limited on any device (unless you put everything in the cloud), so you may need to offload those pictures from time to time.
Here’s how to transfer photos from an iPhone to your computer.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to transfer photos from an iPhone to a Mac computer
To prepare for your photo upload, make sure your software is up to date. Currently, you’ll need the most recent version of iTunes (or at least version 12.5.1 or beyond). You’ll also need a USB cord to connect your iPhone to your Mac.
1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac via USB.
2. Check your phone. You may be prompted to unlock it with its passcode (your iPhone won’t accept Face or Touch ID for this). If a pop-up appears asking if you “trust” the computer, choose “Trust This Computer.” Your iPhone is now connected to your Mac computer.
4. The Photos app on your computer should open. If it doesn’t, open it manually.
5. If the screen showing your iPhone photos doesn’t open automatically, in the sidebar on the left, under “Devices,” select your iPhone. You should see an import screen in Photos that shows the photos you have on your iPhone.
6. Choose where you want to store your imported photos. At the top of the import window in the centre, you’ll find a drop-down menu that lets you add the new photos to one of your albums or create a new album for your import. If you do nothing, the transferred photos will go into your Photos app Library.
7. There are two buttons on the upper left of the import window. “Import All New Items” will transfer every photo you have taken since your last import. To upload only certain photos, click on each photo you want to copy onto your computer and click the “Import Selected” button.
Your import is complete! Feel free to disconnect your iPhone.
How to transfer photos from an iPhone to a PC
1. On your PC running Windows 10, click the Start button.
2. Choose “Photos” from the menu that pops up – you may need to scroll down. This opens the Photos app on your PC.
3. In Photos, choose “Import – From a USB device” in the top-right corner.
4. The computer will begin scanning your iPhone for photos and videos. If you have multiple photo-storing devices connected, you’ll be able to pick which one you want. If your iPhone isn’t detected, make sure that your Apple Mobile Device driver is updated.
Once everything is imported, feel free to disconnect your iPhone.
- embed type
- embed type
- embed type
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.