- Tracking changes on Microsoft Word is similar to the “Suggesting” feature in Google Docs.
- The Google Docs editing feature allows users with a shared document to “suggest” edits, which anyone with editing permissions can either approve or reject, as well as make comments in the margins.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Whether you are a writer in desperate need of an editor’s guidance, or just need a friend to look over a cover letter, the “Suggesting” feature on Google Docs might be just what you need.
“Suggesting” is similar to Microsoft Word’s “Track Changes,” but it works in real time for a more seamless process of collaboration.
All you need is a Google account with access to Google Docs, and a prospective editor or collaborator with the same.
How to ‘track changes’ on Google Docs using the ‘Suggesting’ feature
1. Open Google Docs.
2. Find a document that you have editing or commenting permission on.
3. On the top menu bar to the far right, you will see a pencil icon. Click on it.
4. In the drop-down menu, select “Suggesting.”
5. The icon will change to green when you are in “Suggesting” mode.
6. While using the Google Docs “Suggesting” feature, all edited text will appear in green and pop-ups will appear in the margins listing every suggestion you make.
7. You can accept the changes by clicking on the check mark, or reject the suggestion by clicking the “x” icon.
How to add and edit a comment on Google Docs
1. To make a comment on Google Docs while using the “Suggesting” function, highlight the text you wish to make a comment on. An icon that looks like a plus sign in a message bubble will appear to the right. Click it to leave a comment.
2. You can also use the shortcut “Command+Option+M” or right-click and select “Comment” from the menu that appears. Once you’ve written a comment, press the blue “Comment” button and the text will be highlighted in yellow, alongside your comment in the right margin.
3. To edit your comment, click the three vertical dots on the top right. This will take you to the “More Options” menu where you can edit, delete, or link to the comment.
How to reply to a comment in Google Docs
1. To reply to a comment, click the comment you wish to reply to.
2. Enter the reply in the text box and hit “Reply.” You can also get rid of the comment by clicking “Resolve.”
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.