People lie all the time. According to one study, men lie at least six times every day!Despite how frequently fibs are told, spotting a liar is not always easy.
Many experts agree that a combination of body language and other cues can provide hints on whether someone is telling a truth or a lie.
Comparing these behaviours to a person’s normal behaviour can reveal some interesting discoveries.
1. Liars typically make too much or too little eye contact. If someone is unable to look you in the eyes or is staring you down, that person may be trying to cover his or her tracks.
4. Other body language to look out for includes: rapid blinking, dilated pupils, pitch changes, less smiling, shrugging shoulders, fidgeting, and crossed arms.
12. They also over-emphasise details. When people are trying to avoid telling the truth, they often focus on an obscure point instead of the key issue.
13. Watch out for frequent touching of the face, throat, and mouth. For example, a liar might scratch his/her nose or behind the ear.
15. If you believe someone is lying, change the subject of a conversation quickly. A liar will follow along willingly, whereas an innocent person may be confused by the sudden change in topics and will try to return to the previous subject.
NOW WATCH: Ideas videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.