- To silence an iPad, you can go into your Control Menu and tap the bell icon – this will fully mute all sounds.
- Some iPad models also have a switch on the side, which can be used to silence your iPad if you have it enabled in your Settings.
- You can’t fully silence an iPad by just turning down the volume – that will mute music and videos, but not notifications.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
On the one hand, an iPad is an impressive device when it comes to audio. These compact tablets have powerful speakers that deliver crisp highs and decent bass, and can fill a space with sound. On the other hand, all that noise can get annoying in a hurry.
You can customise your iPad’s audio settings to turn off noises like keyboard clicks and the lock sound, but you’ll still hear noises every time you get a message or when certain apps update. You can turn down the volume on music, videos, games, and other media to keep them quiet. And you can go into Do Not Disturb mode to block the sounds from texts or FaceTime contact.
But in order to fully silence all iPad sounds, you need to use the mute function found in the Control Panel, or the switch on the side.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to silence an iPad completely using the Control Panel
1. For older iPads, swipe up from the bottom of the home screen. For newer iPads, swipe down and to the left from the top-right corner.
2. In the Control Panel that appears, tap the icon of a bell.
Your iPad is now muted and will make no sound, no matter how high or low the volume is set, until you unmute it by tapping the bell icon again.
How to silence certain iPad models with a switch
Older iPad models have a small switch on the side that you can use to mute your iPad. It only has two positions, so just slide it to the mute position (the metal underneath the button will be orange when it’s in mute position).
In some cases, the switch may instead lock your iPad’s orientation, meaning that you can’t change between portrait and landscape mode. If this is the case, you can change that setting by doing the following:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Navigate to the General tab.
3. Scroll down to the “Use Side Switch To” menu.
- embed type