- An open line of communication between business owners and their customers can provide valuable insight, and can help foster a better relationship between the two.
- Those with verified business profiles can easily respond to Google reviews via Google Maps, or through their Google My Business account (on mobile or desktop.)
- Alternatively, you may wish to flag inappropriate, false, or spammy reviews for deletion, rather than responding.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Crowdsourced reviews, like the ones Google users contribute, can be immensely helpful for small business owners. They can illuminate where you’re doing well, where you can improve, and what needs your attention right away. It’s a good idea to engage with your customers so you can hopefully resolve issues in a way that satisfies everyone. Win-win.
Those who have verified business’ profiles can easily respond to reviews, either via desktop or through the Google My Business app. Your response will appear publicly under the “response from the owner” section of your business’ reviews.
Here’s what else you need to know to get it done.
How to respond to Google reviews on desktop
Assuming you’re already signed into your business account through Google, you can respond to a review via Google Maps. Here’s how:
1. Go to maps.google.com.
2. Type your business’ name in the search bar and hit enter.
3. Scroll down to “Reviews” in the left sidebar.
4. Next to the review you want to respond to, click “Reply.”
Or, if you aren’t logged into your business account, you can respond by using the following method:
1. Go to business.google.com and sign into your account.
2. Select the location you’d like to manage.
3. Within the menu, click “Reviews.”
4. Find the review you want to respond to and click “Reply.”
5. Writer your reply and then hit “Post Reply.”
You need to have a business account to reply to reviews.
How to respond to Google reviews on mobile
The Google My Business app may be a more convenient way to respond to your business’ reviews. Here’s how to navigate to the right screens:
1. Open your My Business app.
2. Tap “Customers” and then “Reviews.”
3. Tap the review you want to respond to.
4. Write your response and click “Send” (the paper plane icon).
Responses to reviews may take a while to appear on your page.
If, instead of replying, you simply want to delete a spammy Google review, you need go through the flagging process and wait for the site to process your request. To do so, check out our article, “How to delete an outdated Google review, or dispute a spammy review of your business.”
Just keep in mind that the review would somehow have to violate Google’s posting guidelines (by providing false information or by spamming your business’ account, for example) in order to be deleted. A negative – but true – review, on the other hand, would not be subject to removal.
The way you’ll choose to field reviews for your business will depend on a variety of factors, like how comfortable you are with interacting with them online and how much time you have to devote to replies.
That said, Google does provide some tips for you to keep in mind: The website suggests keeping responses short, kind, and remembering to be thankful for your customers and their feedback.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.