- You can print double-sided on your Windows PC as a default setting or on a per-job basis.
- To print double-sided on your Windows computer for a single print job, you’ll need to access the “Print” menu in the appropriate program and use the advanced settings link, such as “More settings.”
- If you always want your Windows PC to print double-sided, make it your default setting in the “Devices” menu via the Windows Control Panel or Settings app.
- If your printer doesn’t have double-sided printing capabilities, the option to duplex print will likely not show up as an adjustable setting.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Printing double-sided is a no-brainer move. You lower your printer’s energy use and save on paper, which ultimately saves trees. Plus, if you’re printing a large project, you only have to carry around half the weight.
Despite there being plenty of advantages to printing projects double-sided, it is not the default setting on your PC. Luckily, Windows gives users the option to set duplex printing in two different ways. You can either select double-sided printing for each job in the print window settings or set duplex printing as your device’s default preference through the Settings app on your Windows PC.
Not all printers have duplex printing capabilities, so you’ll need to check your printer manual or contact your printer manufacturer to make sure you can print double-sided. If your printer doesn’t double-sided printing capabilities, you won’t see the option to adjust it.
If you already know your printing device has double-sided printing available, here’s how to do it on a Windows PC.
How to print double-sided for a single print job on a Windows PC
1. Open the document you want to print and select “File.”
2. Choose “Print.”
3. In the print menu, click the hyperlink that says, “More settings.”
4. In the window that appears, click the dropdown menu labelled “Duplex Printing.”
- Note: Depending on which Windows operating system, printer and program you are working with, you may be given the option to “Print on both sides” or “Manually print on both sides.”
5. If available, choose one of the “print double-sided” options. “Flip on long edge” means that the pages will flip like a book â€” “flip on short edge” means they will flip like a notepad.
6. Select “OK.”
7. Click “Print.”
How to set double-sided printing as your default on a Windows PC
1. Click the “Start” button.
2. Scroll until you see the “Settings” app, then select it.
3. Choose “Devices.”
4. Click “Printers & Scanners.”
5. Select the printing device you plan to use.
6.Click the “Manage” or “Manage Your Device” option from the dropdown menu that appears.
7. Select the “Printing Preferences” link from the left-hand column.
8. A dialogue window should appear. Select the “Printing Shortcut” tab.
9. If your printer has a duplexing unit and can automatically print on both sides, select “Two-sided Duplex Printing” from the “Printing Shortcuts” box.
10. If you have to manually feed paper into your printer to print on both sides, select “User Specified Print Settings.”
11. Select the “Print on both sides manually” dropdown and choose between “Flip on Long Edge” or “Flip on Short Edge.”
12. Click “Apply.”
13. Choose “Save.”
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.