- To make a GIF on your iPhone, you’ll need to convert a Live Photo using the default Photos app, or an app called GIPHY.
- With GIPHY, when you make a GIF on your iPhone, you can add text, stickers, or other kinds of art on top.
- GIFs created with the iPhone’s native Photos app also can’t be exported off of Apple devices without losing the ability to move.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
However, Live Photos are a bit different – they aren’t meant to repeat automatically, for example, and only work on Apple devices.
But if you do want to make a GIF on your iPhone, and make these Live Photos repeat, you’re in luck. You can use the native iPhone Photos app to make your Live Photos repeat, and the GIPHY app to create a GIF that can be shared anywhere.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to make a GIF on an iPhone through the Photos app
Firstly, it should be noted that turning a Live Photo into a GIF through the Photos app won’t create a real GIF – it will just create another Live Photo that looks like a GIF when played on an iPhone or iPad.
This means that if you export this Live Photo to a non-Apple device, it still won’t move. You’ll have to use GIPHY for to create a real GIF.
1. Open the “Photos” app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the Live Photo you want to turn into a GIF.
3. Tap and hold the bottom of the photo.
4. Slide your finger up to bring up the moving picture menu (Live, Loop, Bounce, Long Exposure).
5. Tap on “Loop” to turn the picture into a repeating GIF. Note, however, that it won’t be a “clean” GIF – instead of simply jumping back to the end of the GIF when it’s finished, the image will fade out, like so:
You can alternatively tap on “Bounce” so that the frames of the picture will go forward and in reverse instead of starting back at the beginning of the picture series.
How to make a GIF on an iPhone through using GIPHY
Giphy presents many more options for getting creative with your GIFs, allows you to share your new creations with the world, and allows you to download other GIFs created by members of the community.
1. Open the Giphy app.
2. Click on the camera sign in the top-right.
3. Here you have two options for making your GIF:
- Film a new GIF by tapping on the camera icon, bottom centre.
- Make a GIF from your photos by tapping on the photos icon in the bottom right, then tapping on the photo you wish to use.
4. There are various options for customising it on the bottom (from left to right): Write a caption, add a filter, add pre-made art and word art phrases, trim your GIF, and more.
Once it’s exactly how you want it, tap on the purple arrow to upload it to GIPHY.
5. On the next page, click “Upload to GIPHY.” You’ll have to sign up for a GIPHY account before you can upload and save your GIF.
6. Once it’s uploaded, tap on the three vertical dots to open a new menu.
7. Tap “Save to Camera Roll” to download the newly created GIF onto your phone. You can now freely export or post it wherever you like.
Unlike GIFs created with the native Photos app, GIFs created through GIPHY will be clean and complete.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.