- Facebook’s Messenger app is a great way to connect with friends, but figuring out how to log out of Messenger on an iPhone can help you eliminate distractions.
- While logged in, Facebook Messenger allows you to send text messages, videos, photos, and GIFs to your contacts in real time. But it also sends you notifications whenever someone messages you, which can be distracting.
- When you no longer want to be active online, you can log out of the Messenger app on an iPhone through either Facebook’s desktop site or the Facebook or Messenger mobile apps.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Whether you just want to browse the social media platform in peace or you’re trying to take a break from instant messaging to get some work done – we all know how distracting the internet can be – signing out of the Facebook Messenger app on your iPhone is a bit tricky and isn’t necessarily straightforward.
Here’s how to do it on a desktop computer, and through the Facebook or Messenger mobile apps on iPhone.
How to log out of Facebook Messenger on iPhone on desktop
1. In your internet browser, go to Facebook.com and sign into your account.
2. In the upper right-hand corner of your screen, click on the downward facing arrow to reveal a list of menu options. Look for “Settings” at the bottom and click on it.
3. On the “Settings” screen, click on “Security and Login” on the menu on the left side of your screen. It should be the second option down from the top, just under “General.”
4. In the “Security and Login” section, look for the “Where You’re Logged In” heading. This area will tell you on which devices you’re currently logged into Facebook and via which app, i.e. Messenger.
5. Locate the active login on Messenger and, clicking the three horizontally stacked lines to the right of it, go to “Log out” and select it.
6. You will notice that the login then disappears from the list, which is how you’ll know you’ve successfully logged out.
How to log out of Facebook Messenger on iPhone through the Facebook mobile app
1. Open the Facebook app and after locating the three horizontally stacked lines in the lower right-hand corner of your screen, tap it to open a list of menu options.
2. Scroll down until you reach the “Settings & Privacy” section. Tap that, then select “Settings” again to be taken to a new screen of account and security settings.
3. Under the “Security” section, tap the first option titled “Security and login.”
4. Under the “Where you’re logged in” section, look for the device which is logged into Messenger (it will say so beneath the device type). Tap the three horizontally stacked dots to the right of it and a pop-up will appear asking you to either secure your account or log out. Select “Log Out.”
Note that when you re-launch the Messenger app, you will be informed that your session is expired and that you’re required to sign in again in order to resume using Messenger.
How to log out of Facebook Messenger on iPhone through the Messenger app
You can also log out through the Messenger app itself.
1. Open the Messenger app.
2. Tap your icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
3. In the menu that opens, scroll down and tap “Account Settings.”
4. This will open a Settings menu. Tap “Security and Login.”
5. Under the “Where you’re logged in” section, look for the device which is logged into Messenger (it will say so beneath the device type). Tap the three horizontally stacked dots to the right of it and a pop-up will appear asking you to either secure your account or log out.
6. Select “Log Out.”
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.