The INSIDER Summary:
- Taylor Swift’s new song will be released Thursday night.
- It will be the first single from her forthcoming album “Reputation,” due November 10.
- It might be called “Timeless.”
- The song will be the beginning of a new phase she’s setting for her music.
Taylor Swift announced she’s releasing a new album on November 10, titled “Reputation,” with a single dropping Thursday night. It marks her first album since 2014’s “1989,” which turned her into a bona-fide pop star and became one of the bestselling albums of the century.
Here’s everything we know:
The album cover has her name over and over again.
Swift posted an image on social media of what appears to be her album cover. It’s in stark black-and-white, featuring the album’s title and her face slightly upturned. On the right, there’s a collage compiling different press clipping formats. The text on all of them is “Taylor Swift” over and over again in different formats.
The first single may be called “Timeless.”
She’s revamping her image.
Swift is reportedly overhauling her public image at the type of music she makes. With 2012’s “Red” and 2014’s “1989,” she made a dramatic shift away from country music. It remains to be seen what kind of change “Reputation” will offer her.
There’s a good chance it will be a diss track.
Swift relentlessly teased the new song and album with videos of an angry snake on her social media accounts. It’s a likely reference to her many celebrity feuds, and how she’s striking back after lying low. She has a lengthy list of celebrity enemies to choose from, and it remains to be seen who she’ll target.
She might perform the single at the VMAs this weekend.
This Sunday night, MTV will air the 2017 Video Music Awards, hosted by Swift’s archnemesis Katy Perry. Perry is scheduled to perform “Swish Swish,” her own diss track from earlier this year about Swift. Swift herself isn’t scheduled to perform during the event, but the VMAs have surprised us before. At the least, there’s a strong possibility that the ceremony will show the music video for Swift’s new song.
Her new song will be eligible for next year’s Grammys — but her album won’t.
We may see Swift’s first single nominated for the 2018 Grammys. “Reputation,” though, will have to wait for the following year, because it will be released outside of the October-to-September eligibility range.
More from INSIDER:
- The most iconic RV from every decade
- The 50 best Trader Joe’s products, according to employees and shoppers
- 9 new photos from the ‘Game of Thrones’ season finale tease crackling tension in King’s Landing
- Everything we know about Taylor Swift’s mysterious new song and album
- Gabrielle Union shares what motivates her to work out even though she hates it
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.