- You can get a complete or partial refund as an Airbnb guest, or issue one as an Airbnb host.
- Before you request a refund from your Airbnb host, be sure to review the host’s cancellation policy.
- Any refund issues between a host and guest that can’t be resolved within 72 hours can be submitted to Airbnb’s Resolution Centre for mediation.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
In a perfect world, there would never be a need for an Airbnb host to issue their guests a refund.
But in the real world, plans change all the time, for all sorts of reasons, and sometimes those pristine pictures posted on a website aren’t the most accurate representation of a property.
In other words, refunds are going to be a part of the Airbnb experience. Fortunately, assuming both host and guest are working in good faith, getting a refund from Airbnb is a pretty easy process.
To make things as easy as possible on yourself, don’t book a stay until your dates are locked and you have thoroughly vetted the property. If you realise the rental won’t work, cancel it ASAP.
How to get a refund on Airbnb
To request a refund outside the grace period, which is usually 14 days before your rental period begins, the first step is to message the host. This creates a log that Airbnb employees can reference later if you can’t work things out peer-to-peer.
1. If you can’t work things out with your host, go to the Airbnb Resolution Centre.
2. First, click on the “Request Money” button.
3. Then click on the reservation in question.
4. You can now click on the “View Details” button and then click to request a refund.
If you encounter any issues with the online system, you can call Airbnb at 1-855-424-7262 for further assistance.
How to send a refund on Airbnb
If you are a host and a guest has requested a refund prior to their stay, go to the Your Reservations page and select the rental in question. Then simply click “Issue Refund” and confirm the action.
For guests requesting refunds during or after a stay as a result of some issue, you should first discuss the amount to be returned, and you will then need to use the Resolution Centre. Once there, click on the reservation in question and then, under “Select a Reason” you can click “Offer Partial Reimbursement.”
Enter the amount agreed upon, the currency, and a message and submit the refund. Once the guest accepts the refund, it will be processed within 48 hours.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.