Whole Foods has started cutting prices to better compete with traditional supermarkets.
The grocery chain hasn’t provided many details on the price cuts, so the product review site Cheapism.com checked a Long Island, New York store for the best deals.
Cheapism compared the prices of hundreds of items at the store to prices for similar items at a nearby Shoprite. Some of the biggest differences in price were noted in almond butter, thin crust pizzas and potted flowers.
Note: Cheapism’s findings were for Long Island only. Prices may vary elsewhere.
Here are the items that were cheaper at Whole Foods:
1. Tofu. Fourteen ounces of organic tofu costs $US1 dollar less at Whole foods, compared to the same amount of tofu at ShopRite.
2. Almond milk. Every brand of almond milk is cheaper at Whole Foods, including the store brand, which is 10 cents cheaper than ShopRite’s at $US3.69 a gallon, according to Cheapism.
3. Shredded cheese.Organic shredded cheeses start at $US5.19 for an 8-ounce pack at Whole Foods, compared to $US5.99 for the same amount at ShopRite.
4. Cream cheese. Whole Foods’ 8-ounce package of cream cheese costs $US1.89, which is 90 cents cheaper than the same size package at ShopRite.
5. Organic frozen berries. “Berries are counted among the so-called ‘Dirty Dozen’ foods that consumers are encouraged to buy organic,” writes Cheapism’s Tess Rose Lampert. “Whole Foods sells 16 ounces of organic frozen berries for as little as $US3.29. Yet again, ShopRite is more expensive, offering 16 ounces of frozen organic berries for $US3.99 to $US4.79.”
6. Almond butter. This peanut butter alternative costs a whopping $US9.99 at ShopRite, which is $US3 more expensive than the same size jar at Whole Foods.
7. Organic Canned Tomatoes. At Whole Foods, these will cost you $US1.99 for a 28-ounce can. A can half that size costs $US1.70 at ShopRite.
8. Saltine crackers. ShopRite charges $US3.29 for its store brand of crackers, compared to $US2.99 for Whole Foods’ store brand.
9. Cereal and breakfast Bars. A box of six breakfast bars sells for $US2.29 at Whole Foods and $US3.29 at ShopRite.
10. Organic Coconut Oil. Coconut oil’s many uses aren’t confined to the kitchen. It can be used as a conditioner, a moisturizer, and even a make-up remover. A 14-ounce jar costs $US5.99 at Whole Foods and $US6.49 at ShopRite, according to Cheapism.
11. Natural frozen burritos. “This freezer staple comes in meaty, veggie, and vegan versions at both stores, but Whole Foods offers slightly cheaper products from its 365 Everyday Value line, starting at $US1.69 for each 6-ounce burrito. ShopRite’s prices go no lower than $US2.50,” Lampert writes.
12. Natural thin crust frozen pizzas. Whole foods’ thin crust pizzas start at $US3.99, while ShopRite’s start at $US6.99.
13. Concord grape juice. A 32-ounce bottle of this juice costs $US3.69 at Whole Foods, which is $US1.40 cheaper than the same size bottle at ShopRite.
14. 5-Inch potted flower plants.Potted flowers cost $US2 less at Whole Foods.
15. Organic green peas.You can save 60 cents for a 16-ounce bag of green peas at Whole Foods over ShopRite.
16. Organic green beans. A 16-ounce bag of frozen green beans costs $US2.29 at Whole Foods and $US2.50 at ShopRite.
17.Dried basil.A half-ounce bottle of this herb costs $US1 more at ShopRite.
18. Cayenne pepper. Whole Foods also beats ShopRite on cayenne pepper prices. A half-ounce bottle costs $US1.99 at Whole Foods and $US3.19 at ShopRite.
19. Organic long grain brown rice. At ShopRite, this costs $US1.59 a pound, compared to $US1.15 a pound at Whole Foods.
20. Hearts of palm. Whole Foods sells 14-ounce cans of sliced hearts of palm for $US2.19, compared to $US2.79 for the same size can at ShopRite.
21. Organic sweet corn. A 16-ounce bag of frozen organic sweet corn costs $US2.29 at Whole Foods and $US2.50 at ShopRite.
22. Vegan cheese. A 6.7-ounce package of Whole Foods’ 365 costs $US2.99, compared to $US3.79 for the same size package at Shoprite.
23. Organic breakfast cereals.“From flakes and loops to puffs and squares, the 365 Everyday Value line of 12.25-ounce organic breakfast cereals starts at $US2.99,” Lampert writes. “The pricier name brand organic cereals at ShopRite start at $US3.49.”
24. Organic ice cream pops.A three-pack of these treats costs $US3.99 at Whole Foods, compared to $US4.59 at ShopRite.
25. Vegetarian sausage links.A box of the same Tofurkey brand of sausage links costs $US2.50 more at ShopRite compared to Whole Foods. .
26. Tamari.Whole Foods’ sells a 20-ounce bottle of Tamari for $US4.69. ShopRite’s bottle is half that size and costs $US3.99.
27. Hearts of palm.Hearts of palm cost $US2.79 per 14-ounce can at ShopRite. The same size can at Whole Foods costs $US2.19.
28. Organic broth and stock.Whole Foods’ organic vegetable stock costs $US2.49, compared to $US3.19 at Shoprite.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.