You can tell a a lot about people, and their countries, by what other people say about them.
He says the heat in Australia produces a tendency toward apathy and procrastination in many areas, expressed in a general laissez-faire attitude: “No worries” or “She’ll be all right in the end”.
“The darker side of Australian life is not to be discounted — they consume more alcohol and painkillers per capita than any other English-speaking country,” he writes.
“Their racial policy has been largely unsuccessful, and the Aborigines are in dire straits as a result.
“Yet Australians remain very positive human beings. Few can match their friendliness and even fewer their spontaneous generosity.”
Here’s Lewis’s tips. Overall, Australia concerns itself with:
- A (hopeful) tendency to look to integration with nearby Asian countries as a solution to Australia’s economic difﬁculties.
- Encouraged by a “Paciﬁc Rim” mentality.
- Some ambivalence about Anglo-Celtic-American ties and how this clashes with Asian and Mediterranean immigrant views.
- Monarchy or republic?
- Tendency to want to settle the Aboriginal question.
The hot tips for doing business in Australia
- Show you are willing to be “one of the mates”.
- While remaining law-abiding,show a healthy disrespect for many laws and too much government interference.
- Cut through red tape at every opportunity.
- Always lead from the front and never ask anyone to do anything you would not do yourself.
- Roll up your sleeves and help people to move tables.
- Develop deep friendships whenever this is appropriate.
- Moderate swearing is not taboo.
- Sarcasm and irony are popular,but when exercising them,let kindness shine through.
- Praise Australia — there is no reason why you shouldn’t!
- They are free spenders,so be careful not to appear stingy.
- The “tall poppy syndrome” is a reality. Ride too high and the Australians will soon cut you down.
- Australians like cheerfulness and affability. Respond accordingly.
- Be prepared to chat amiably with relative strangers.
- Get a feel for how Australian males treat women. It is a rather special relationship.
- Give parties regularly if this is appropriate.Australians often mix business with social activities.
- You can make good progress with Australians if you let your hair down while drinking and socialising.
- Giving brusque orders or any other form of arrogance.
- Criticising anyone for not dressing smartly or for failing to observe etiquette. Australians love informality.
- Intruding into their leisure time.At 4:00 or 5 PM. They are usually thinking about the pub or the beach.
- Using ﬂowery or obscure speech.
- Boasting about your past achievements.
- Referring to their convict past; let them bring up the subject.
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.