- You can create a YouTube channel straight from the website or mobile app’s home page.
- Creating a YouTube channel will let you upload videos, create playlists, leave comments, and more.
- There are two types of YouTube channels you can create: a personal channel, and a “Brand” channel, which is better for businesses and influencers.
- Once you’ve created a YouTube channel, you can create additional channels through the “Channel Switcher” page.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Anyone can watch videos on YouTube, but you need a YouTube channel to post videos, make comments, or upload playlists.
YouTube offers two channel options â€” a personal YouTube channel and a Brand Account.
Here’s how to create both.
How to create a personal YouTube channel
You might choose a personal YouTube channel if you just want the option to comment on videos or post your own.
1. Go to the YouTube website or app and sign into your account using your mobile device or computer.
2. Click or tap your profile image in the top right corner of the screen.
3. If you’re using a desktop computer, click “Create a Channel.” On a mobile device, tap “Your Channel.”
4. On a computer, click “Get Started” in the pop-up window, and under the option that says “Use your name,” click “Select.” On a mobile device, enter your name into the pop-up screen, and tap “Create Channel.”
6. Your personal YouTube channel is now created. On the next screen, you can customise various settings for your channel, such as add a profile picture and share your channel. If you’d rather set these up later, scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Set up later.”
How to create a brand or business YouTube channel
A Brand Account is suitable for businesses, brands, or other kinds of organisations that want to manage multiple YouTube channels from a single dashboard.
In addition to multiple channel management, a YouTube Brand Account allows you to add managers for each channel. You can control who has access to different options within the channel they manage.
You can only create a Brand Account on the YouTube desktop website.
1. In a desktop web browser, sign into YouTube with the Google account you want to use to create a new channel.
2. Click your profile image in the upper right corner of the screen.
3. In the dropdown menu, click “Create a Channel.”
4. In the pop-up window, select “Get Started.”
5. Under the option that says “Use a custom name,” click “Select.”
6. On the next page, enter the brand account name that you want to use, agree to the terms, and click “Save.”
7. Your new channel is now created. You can customise your channel’s settings on the next screen.
Visit the YouTube channel switcher to see a list of all YouTube channels owned by your account. You can access the channel switcher anytime to switch between YouTube channels, or create a new one.
You can see all Brand Accounts you own or manage from the YouTube Brand Account dashboard.
Once you create a new account, you’ll notice you don’t yet have the option to customise the url (e.g. youtube.com/user/businessinsider).
YouTube restricts the use of custom YouTube channel URLs to channels with at least 30 videos and 100 subscribers. New accounts aren’t eligible until they have existed for at least 30 days.
A YouTube channel can be created from both a standard Google Account or a G Suite account with the exception of G Suite Education. G Suite Education accounts are not allowed to create YouTube channels.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.