- You can create a new user profile in Windows 10 to share your Windows computer with another person, without giving them access to your private documents.
- You don’t need a Microsoft account to add a new user profile to Windows 10.
- To create a new user, you’ll just need to go into the “Add, edit or remove other user” menu.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
There are parts of your computer that you might want to share – your programs, for example. There are others – private documents, personal image folders – that you don’t.
In Windows 10, user accounts let you share access to some things, but not others, when handing control of your computer to someone else.
But first, you need to know how to make a new user account. Here’s how.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to create a new user in Windows 10
1. Open the Start menu by clicking on the Windows icon at the bottom-left of the screen, or by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.
2. Search for “Add user” and select “Add, edit or remove other users” when it comes up in the results.
3. In the Settings window that opens, select “Add someone else to this PC.”
4. Microsoft will prompt you to add their Microsoft account details, but if you select “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information,” you can then select “Add a user without a Microsoft account.” This is best if you just want to add a user account quickly.
5. Create their username and enter the password they will be using – or, ask them to enter their own password for privacy.
6. Do the same process for their security questions.
7. When the account is created, its icon should appear in the Settings window. The account should be active and free to use when you log out of your own account, or switch users.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.