- You can convert a Microsoft Word document into a Google Doc file right from the Google Drive website.
- Google Drive allows you to upload Word files on both desktop and mobile.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
While Microsoft Word used to be the go-to word processing app for students and professionals alike, these days, people are opting for free internet-based services more and more.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to convert a Word document to a Google Doc on desktop
1. Ensure you’re logged into your Google account and then navigate to https://drive.google.com.
2. On the top-left of your screen, click “New” and then select “File upload.”
3. Locate the Word file on your computer’s hard drive and double-click it to upload it to Google Drive.
4. Once uploaded, double-click on the document to open a preview screen.
5. Click the “Open with” menu on the toolbar running across the top of the window.
6. Select “Google Docs.”
7. The document will take a few moments to convert, and will then open in an editable Google Docs page.
8. Both the original Word file and the new Google Docs file will be saved to your Drive.
How to convert a Word document to a Google Doc on mobile
1. Download the Google Docs and Google Drive apps if you haven’t already. Then, on your phone’s home screen, tap the Google Drive app icon to open it.
2. Tap the “+” button in the lower right-hand corner of your screen and tap “Upload.”
3. Locate the Word document on your phone and tap it to upload it.
4. Once the file is uploaded, tap on the Word doc you want to open. This will then launch it in the Google Docs app, and your document will have been converted.
5. Both the original Word file and the new Google Docs file will be saved to your Drive.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.