- You can connect a wireless Xbox One controller to your console by pressing the sync button on your controller and the corresponding sync button on your console.
- You can also connect the wireless controller to your console with a microUSB cord, and then disconnect the cable. The controller and console will remain synced.
- Wired Xbox One controllers are available for about half the price of wireless controllers, and simply connect to the console physically.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
There are several different ways to play your Xbox One, and which one you pick will probably depend on your budget, and how far away you sit from your console.
You can buy both wired and wireless controllers for your Xbox One. Wireless controllers are more expensive, but allow you to sit farther away from the Xbox One console.
And, of course, the way you connect each type to the console is different. Here’s how.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to connect an Xbox One controller to your console
The easiest way to connect an Xbox One controller to the system is to use a wired controller, and simply plug its USB cable into the console physically.
Wired controllers cost about half as much as wireless options, and many gamers say they eliminate lag time that one can experience with wireless hardware (sometimes called input lag).
A wireless Xbox remote gives you more freedom of motion. Also, they’re laughably easy to sync up to the console once you know.
There are two ways to connect a wireless Xbox One controller to the console. First, we’ll do it through a microUSB cable.
Using any microUSB cable (if you have any device aside from an iPhone that uses a USB cable, there’s a good chance that it’s a microUSB cable), plug the small end of the cable into the slot on the back of the remote, and the USB plug into a port on the console.
Now wait a few seconds until the Xbox button on the remote and on the console both glow solidly. You’re synced. You can now unplug the controller and use it wirelessly.
To connect the remote and console without a cable, press and hold the sync button on top of the remote.
Once the Xbox button starts flashing, push the corresponding sync button on the console.
- On an Xbox One X and One S console, you’ll find this button on the front, below the power button. It will be small and circular, and have the same curved lines symbol.
- On an original Xbox One console, the sync button is on the side, and is a rectangle with the curved lines symbol.
When both Xbox symbols are solid, you’re ready to play.
- embed type
- embed type
- embed type
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.