- You can connect your PS4 controller to a PC using a micro-USB cable or wirelessly via Bluetooth.
- With a USB, you can connect to your PC via Steam or DS4 Windows Utility.
- If your PC supports Bluetooth, you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you enjoy using a PS4 controller for PC gaming, you’ll be glad to know that there are a few ways to connect your PS4 controller to your Windows 10 PC.
Two of these methods involve a wired connection (via a micro-USB cable), and the third involves pairing your controller wirelessly via Bluetooth.
Here’s how to connect your PS4 controller to a PC in three different ways, and how to reconnect your PS4 controller to your PS4 console.
How to connect PS4 controller to PC with a USB
If you want to connect your PS4 controller with a micro-USB cable (the same cable you use to charge the controller), you have two options: via Steam or the DS4 Windows Utility.
Connect via Steam
If you’re a PC gamer, chances are you have a Steam account, which you can use to connect a PS4 controller.
1. Open the Steam app and click the Big Picture Mode icon in the top-right. It looks like a square with two arrows pointing out.
2. Once in Big Picture Mode, select the gear-shaped Settings icon at the top-right.
3. Under the Controller tab, click Controller Settings.
4. Check the box for PlayStation Configuration Support.
5. Plug the PS4 controller into your PC using the micro-USB cable. Make sure the backlight on the controller glows to indicate that there’s a connection.
6. Steam should automatically detect and configure your controller. Click it when it appears at the bottom of the page.
Connect via DS4 Windows Utility
If you want to use your wired controller with a non-Steam game, this is another option.
1. In a web browser on your PC, go to the DS4 Windows website. Click Download Now.
2. You’ll be redirected to Github. Find and click the DS4Windows.zip file, then download it onto your computer.
3. Find the downloaded .zip file on your computer and open it, then double-click DS4Updater and click Extract All.
4. Pick a location for the files to be extracted to. It should be a location that you can find easily.
5. Once extracted, open the location you picked and double-click DS4Windows. If you’re asked to confirm that you want to run the program, click Run.
6. You’ll be asked where you want to save the program’s files. If you don’t care where they go, pick Appdata. If you want to be able to move them around, pick Program Folder and select a location.
7. Once you’ve picked a spot to save the files, click Step 1: Install the DS4 Driver and let the program install its files. If you’re asked whether you’d like to install the software, click Install.
You can now use the PS4 controller on your PC with a micro-USB cable, although you may need to restart your computer first.
How to connect PS4 controller to PC with Bluetooth
If your PC supports Bluetooth, you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.
1. Open your PC’s search menu (you can press the Windows key + Q to open it immediately) and search for Bluetooth.
2. Select Bluetooth and other devices settings in the search results.
3. Make sure your computer has Bluetooth enabled by setting the switch labeled Bluetooth to On.
4. Hold down the Playstation and Share buttons on your controller until the backlight starts flashing.
5. On your PC, click Add Bluetooth or other device, and select Bluetooth.
6. You’ll see your PS4 controller listed as Wireless Controller. Click it to finalize the connection. If you’re asked for a passcode, enter 0000.
How to reconnect controller to PS4 console
To reconnect a PS4 controller to your PS4 console after using it with a PC, you’ll need to physically connect the controller to the console with a USB.
Then, press the PS button on the controller. Once you’ve followed these steps, you can remove the USB cable and use your controller wirelessly.