- You can connect an iPad to a TV set with an AV (HDMI or VGA) cable. You’ll need the appropriate adaptor cable from Apple.
- To connect the iPad, just connect the adaptor to your iPad, connect the adaptor to your television with the appropriate cable, and switch the TV to the correct input.
- You can also connect your iPad to a TV wirelessly if you have an Apple TV. To do that, use the Screen Mirroring feature in the iPad’sControl Center.
- On the TV, your iPad might look somewhat low-res because its display is being upscaled to a much larger display, but your iPad will send video and photos to the TV at the best possible resolution.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
But you can also use the iPad to deliver high resolution video, effectively turning any TV into a “smart TV.” You can play Netflix,Hulu, or any streaming service from the iPad, or send video and photos stored on the iPad itself to the screen.
How to connect an iPad to your TV with an AV cable
To connect your iPad directly to a TV, you will need an adaptor cable that’s compatible with the input you have on your TV or monitor. In most cases, that will be an HDMI cable, so you should get a Lightning to Digital AV Adaptor from Apple (for older displays, Apple also sells a Lightning to VGA Adaptor).
1. Connect the adaptor to an HDMI (or VGA) cable.
2. Connect the cable to an input on your television.
3. Plug the adaptor to the iPad’s Lightning port and turn on the iPad
4. Use the TV’s control panel or remote control to switch to the input you just attached the cable to.
That’s pretty much it – you should see the iPad‘s display duplicated on the TV. The Home Screen and most apps will probably look somewhat low resolution (the iPad’s resolution is being upscaled to the much larger TV screen) but when you play video, the full resolution of the video will be passed to the TV.
If you’ll be using the iPad for a long time, you might want to plug the AV adaptor into an AC adaptor. This will provide power to the iPad while it’s running. You’ll need an extra AC adaptor and Lightning cable for this, since Apple doesn’t include one with the adaptor.
How to connect an iPad to your TV with an Apple TV
If you have an Apple TV, the process is actually even easier because there are no cables – it’s all wireless, using your Wi-Fi network.
1. Ensure that the iPad is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV.
2. Be sure your TV is on and displaying your Apple TV.
3. Open the iPad’s Control Center by swiping down from the right side of the screen.
4. Tap Screen Mirroring, and then tap Apple TV.
You should now see the iPad’s Home screen mirrored on the TV.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.