- You can clear the cache on your PlayStation 4 easily by unplugging the console after a full shutdown.
- Clearing the cache on your PS4 can improve your system’s performance, especially if it’s been running slowly.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you’ve never heard of a cache before, it’s the part of a computer that stores temporary data and allows you to quickly and smoothly access that data. When a computer or other device is running slowly or not performing at its maximum capacity, it can be helpful to clear the system’s cache.
Like computers, the PlayStation 4 has a cache that should be cleared every so often to ensure it runs smoothly.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to clear the cache on your PS4
Clearing your PS4’s cache is simple. Just follow the steps below.
1. Turn off your PS4. It must be completely off to clear its cache. If it’s left in rest mode, the process won’t work.
2. While the PS4 is shutting down, its indicator light will blink. Wait until it stops blinking – that’s when the PS4 is off.
3. Disconnect the PS4’s power cord from the back of the console. Don’t simply unplug the cord from the wall – it needs to be disconnected from the PS4 itself to clear the cache. Also note that the cord on different PS4 models, such as the Pro or the Slim, may be in a different spot than indicated in the photo below.
4. Wait at least 30 seconds, then plug the cord back into the PS4.
Your PS4’s cache should now be clear, and you can test its performance by starting the system back up.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.