- You change your profile picture in Signal, the open-source messaging app, anytime from the app’s Settings menu.
- Tap the avatar icon at the top left of the screen to get to the profile picture settings.
- If you are using Signal on an Android device, you can blur your picture as well.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Signal, the secure open-source messaging with end-to-end encryption, allows you to set a profile picture for your account. If you set up a picture when you first created your Signal account and want to change it â€” or you never set a picture to begin with â€” it’s easy to choose a new photo.
How to change your profile picture on Signal
1. Open the Signal app on your mobile device.
2. Tap your account icon at the top left of the screen to open the Settings menu (which will either be an image or just your initials).
3. Tap your account avatar again at the top of the Settings menu.
4. On your Profile page, tap your current profile avatar.
5. In the pop-up, choose the option to set your new picture. You can snap a photo using the camera or choose a photo from your camera roll.
How to blur your face on the Android version of Signal
If you are using the Android version of Signal, you can blur your photo. After you take a picture with the camera, tap the “Blur” icon at the top of the screen â€” it’s the circle with white and black squares.
There are two ways to blur your photo:
- Using your finger, “paint” the picture with a blur effect wherever you want the image to be blurred.
- Turn on “Blur faces” by swiping the button to the right. Signal will automatically add a blur square to the middle of your face.
When you’re done, tap the check mark at the top right.
- embed type
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.