- You can change your default Google account by signing out of all your Google accounts, and then signing back into the one you want as your default.
- The first Google account you sign back into will be set as your default until you log out of them all again.
- Your default Google account is the one that Google Drive, YouTube, and other platforms will usually sign you into when you visit.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories .
A new job, a new life direction, a new priority â€” circumstances change, and sometimes that means a new Gmail account needs to become your top priority.
That’s when it’s time to change your default Google account, and therefore prioritise a certain one over any others you have. That way, you’ll see those emails first, but you’ll be able to switch over to your other linked accounts whenever you want.
Luckily, it’s easy to set a new default Google account on your Mac or PC. It should only take a few minutes to accomplish. Here’s how to do it.
How to change your default Google account
1. Go to mail.google.com on your PC or Mac computer, make sure you’re logged in, and click on your profile picture icon located in the top right corner of the screen.
2. Sign out of it, as well as any other Gmail accounts you’re signed into.
3. Sign back into the account you want to be your new default, then sign back into another one of your accounts.
4. To verify that your intended account is now set as the default, click on your profile picture located in the top right corner. It should list an email address and below that in parenthesis it should say “default.”
Signing back in this way will get the job done. You can subsequently sign back into all of your other Google accounts without messing up your new setup.
Remember: Your default account is different from device to device, and the method described above will only apply to the device you complete the steps on.
So if you want to update the default for all of your devices, you’ll have to do it individually on each device.
- embed type
- embed type
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.