- You can cancel an Amazon order from the “Your Orders” page of your account.
- You can’t cancel an Amazon order if the item has already shipped, or if the seller doesn’t allow cancellations.
- If your cancellation request is denied, you can always try returning the item once it arrives, which is allowed in most cases.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you’ve ever hopped on Amazon and found yourself filling your cart with stuff you don’t really need but can’t pass up at such a good price, you’re not alone.
Buyer’s remorse is something we’ve all experienced at one point or another, but what happens when you realize you don’t really need any of this stuff after all?
Thankfully, if your order hasn’t yet shipped and you placed the order pretty recently – within the past couple of hours, or up to 24 hours, depending on your chosen shipping speed – you may be able to cancel your order before it leaves one of the company’s giant warehouses.
Here’s how to do it on the Amazon website or mobile app.
How to cancel an Amazon order on the website
1. Go to the Amazon website and log in to your account.
2. Click “Returns & Orders” in the top-right corner of the homepage.
3. On the “Your Orders” page, find the order you want to cancel. Click the option to the right of the item that says “Cancel items.”
4. On the next page, you may be told that your cancellation isn’t guaranteed, but there’s still no harm in trying. Scroll down and select your cancellation reason from the drop-down menu. Under “Cancel Item” on the right side, make sure the box next to the correct item is checked. Then, click “Cancel selected items” at the bottom-right of the screen.
5. From there, you’ll be sent to a confirmation screen and an email will be sent to you detailing your cancellation request. You’ll receive another email when it’s determined whether or not your order could be successfully cancelled.
How to cancel an Amazon order on the mobile app
2. Tap the icon of three horizontal lines in the bottom-right corner to get to the menu.
3. Tap “Your Orders.”
4. Find and select the order you want to cancel.
5. Select “Cancel items” and then “cancel checked items.”
6. Just like on the website, you’ll then be sent an email confirming your cancellation request. When your cancellation is approved or denied, you’ll be sent another email.
How to return an Amazon order if you can’t cancel it
Of course, it’s always possible that your cancellation request is unsuccessful. Order cancellations may be rejected if the package has already been shipped, or if the item is from a third-party seller that does not allow (or promptly respond to) cancellation requests.
If your item was sold by a third party on Amazon, you’ll need to check the seller’s return policy on their seller page, or you can contact the seller. For more detailed information on Amazon’s return policies, visit this Returns and Refunds support page.