The INSIDER Summary:
- Buying an engagement ring is much less daunting once you know the basics.
- Knowing the four Cs of a diamond are vital: cut, clarity, carat, and colour.
- You should also know what shape of diamond you want to buy; options include princess, emerald, asscher, heart, and pear cuts.
Buying an engagement ring can be daunting.
But it doesn’t have to be if you know the basics, like the four Cs.
The four Cs will help you buy the best quality diamond possible.
Cut: A diamond’s symmetry, proportions, and polish. It’s what determines how beautiful that diamond is, and how bright it shines. Often diamonds that are cut the best won’t be the largest — but they will sparkle the most.
Colour: In white diamonds, you want as little colour in the body of the diamond as possible. A yellow tint in a white diamond will make it less valuable.
Clarity: All diamonds have imperfections, either inside or on their surface. How many imperfections a diamond has, as well as how visible they are, is what determines its clarity. The fewer imperfections it has, the more expensive it will be.
Carat: A diamond’s carat is a measure of its weight, and thus its size. The larger the diamond, the more carat weight it has, and the more valuable it is — larger diamonds are rarer than smaller ones.
Once you’ve mastered these, you’ll need to figure out what shape you want the diamond to be. Keep scrolling to see the 10 options.
More from INSIDER:
- Fans are scrutinizing a tiny moment from Sunday’s ‘The Walking Dead’ — here’s what we think it really means
- What people eat for brunch in 11 cities around the world
- 26 fascinating things you never knew about Queen Elizabeth II
- The ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ trailer just dropped. Here are all the changes to the character since 2002
- A guide to every kind of engagement ring, and what you should know before buying one
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.