Do you find yourself dreading going back to work on Monday, searching for a new job every spare second you get, and feeling as if you’ll never move up or escape your current job? Do you feel like you’ve hit a “dead end” in your current role, at your company or in your career field?You’re not alone. In fact, according to the September 2011 Globoforce Workforce Mood Tracker, 38 per cent of employees are actively looking for a new job.
How can you make certain you set yourself up for success on the job hunt? Harvard researcher Shawn Achor advises you adjust your attitude to ensure the best ROI. In his latest book, The Happiness Advantage, he provides seven tactics for increased success and performance, including:
- The Happiness Advantage: Positive brains have a biological advantage over unengaged, negative brains
- The Fulcrum & the Lever: Adjusting our mindset (our fulcrum) in a way that gives us the power (the lever) to be more fulfilled and successful
- The Tetris Effect: Retraining our brains to spot patterns of possibility so we can see – and seize – opportunity wherever we look
- Falling Up: Finding the mental path that not only leads up out of failure or suffering, but teaches us to be happier and more successful because of it
- The Zorro Circle: Regaining control in negative situations by focusing first on smaller, manageable goals and gradually expanding out to the bigger picture
- The 20-Second Rule: Making small energy adjustments to reroute the path of least resistance, replacing bad habits with good ones
- Social Investment: Investing more in your social support network – one of the greatest predictors of success and excellence
Positive attitude is certainly one of the most important parts of a successful job search. Other tactics that could lead you to a new job are networking, building your personal brand, and finding a mentor.
Have you ever held a “dead end” job? How did you break free and what tips do you have for others in similar situations?
NOW WATCH: Ideas videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.