Summary List Placement
While pretty much everything is digital these days, sometimes you just can’t beat a paper copy. From work contracts to college essays, it’s handy to have a printer in case you need it.
Luckily, adding a printer to Windows 10 isn’t hard.
Before you can add your printer, however, you’ll need to connect it to your computer. A wired printer will just need to be hooked up with a USB cable. A wireless printer might have a pairing button, or another way to connect it to your network.
Here’s how to add a wired or wireless printer to your Windows 10 computer.
How to add a wired printer in Windows 10
1. If you have a wired printer, connect it to your PC by inserting its USB cord into one of your computer ports before turning the printer on. If your printer is wireless, make sure that it’s connected to the same network as your computer – for more information on this, check your specific printer’s manual.
2. In the search bar next to the Windows icon in the bottom-right of your computer’s toolbar, type “Settings.” Once it appears in the search results, select it.
3. Select the “Devices” option.
4. In the “Devices” menu, choose “Printers & scanners” from the left sidebar.
5. Select “Add a Printer or Scanner.” This will prompt Windows to begin searching for available devices to set up.
6. Click on the name of the printer you wish to set up and click “Add Printer.” Follow any instructions to finish the installation.
If Windows doesn’t detect your printer, make sure that it’s hooked up and turned on. If Windows still can’t find it, click “The printer that I want isn’t listed.” Windows will give you a number of different options to help you connect it.
- embed type
- embed type
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.