- You can add a gift card to your PayPal account to use as a payment method.
- However, the gift card has to be a prepaid gift card from brands like Visa,American Express, MasterCard, or Discover in order to use it on PayPal.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
One of the obvious perks of the holiday season is gift cards galore.
Prepaid gift cards sold by credit card companies are a particularly great gift, because you can put the balance toward just about anything – including your PayPal account.
It’s also a great way to eliminate the possibility of forfeiting your funds before you’ve even had a chance to splurge – a lot of us are prone to losing physical copies of things.
Here’s how to add a prepaid gift card from Visa, American Express, MasterCard, or Discover to your PayPal account.
How to add a gift card to PayPal
1. Go into your PayPal Wallet on a desktop computer.
2. Click “Link a debit or credit card.”
3. Tap “Link a card manually” if given the option to link manually or through a bank.
4. Enter the gift card information.
5. Tap “Link Card.”
Sometimes, you might run into an error trying to add a gift card to your PayPal account as a payment method because gift cards lack personal identifiers, unlike traditionally-issued credit cards.
If you run into this kind of trouble, register your gift card – there should be instructions on the card that will direct you to a website for registration.
Additionally, there are also ways to exchange non-credit card gift cards for money in your PayPal account, but the cost of the transaction is significant – usually a minimum of 10% of the value of the gift card.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.