- You can add faces to the Photos app on your iPhone, which will let your phone group photos automatically based on who’s in them.
- Once it starts recognising faces, your iPhone will create a “People” album to group these photos.
- If your iPhone recognises a person’s face in a photo, you can add a name to their face, and they will be added to the People album.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
As newer and newer iterations of the iPhone are released, Apple has honed in on one ability that’s quite uncanny: the ability to automatically recognise human faces.
You may have noticed by now that in the iPhone’s default Photos app, some photos are sorted automatically by what faces are in them. What you may not realise is that you can name those faces, mark your favourites, and explore photos grouped by person.
It’s a handy tool that will make finding the right image a breeze when you want to post photos of your best friend, or grab a picture of your new beau.
Here’s a brief rundown of how to use the iPhone’s nifty facial recognition technology in the Photos app.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to add faces to the Photos app on your iPhone
Accessing the People album
1. Open the iPhone’s Photos app.
2. Tap “Albums” in the row of tabs at the bottom of the screen.
3. Scroll down to the section titled “People & Places.” Open the “People” album.
Any people your iPhone has automatically identified will appear.
But perhaps you want to add others? Fortunately, you can manually add them yourself.
Adding more people to the People album
1. Open a picture of the person you want to add.
2. Swipe up from the middle of the photo (if you swipe up from the bottom of the screen you’ll minimise the app window instead). If your iPhone recognises a human face in the photo, you’ll see a circular thumbnail of the person below the photo. Tap it.
3. You’ll be taken to a page with all photos featuring that person, and there’ll be an option to “Add Name” at the top of the screen. Tap it.
4. Type in the name. If the name is an existing contact, there will be an option to autofill in the name and associate it with that contact. Tap “Next.”
5. Tap Done.
Their image will be added to the People album, and their name will now appear on the thumbnail well.
In the People album, you can mark someone as a “Favourite” person, which is great if you want to be able to find them more easily in the future.
Simply tap the heart icon, located in the bottom right corner of their thumbnail in the People album, to add someone to your Favourites lineup.
- embed type
Read more coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.