- You can add a link to your Instagram Story using the chain link icon in the top menu of your Story screen.
- Once you add a link to your Instagram Story, followers and viewers can view that linked content by swiping up on your Story.
- The link tool is only available on Instagram Stories for users with more than 10,000 followers, or a verified account.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
The Instagram Story link tool is just one way you can spice up your Instagram Story.
The link feature lets you drop a hyperlink directly into your Story, pointing watchers to websites, news articles, videos, and more. To access it, all your followers have to do is swipe up on your Story and they will be redirected.
The tool is great for media organisations, influencers, and more, who can attract website visitors through links. This is likely why the link tool is restricted to bigger accounts – you need to be verified or have over 10,000 followers.
If you’re eligible to add a link, make sure it works after publishing by opening your Story and swiping up. Stories and their links erase after 24 hours, but if you want to publish a longer-lasting or permanent link with the Story, make the Story a highlight.
For those ready and able to add a link to their Story, here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to add a link to your Instagram Story
1. Launch the Instagram app.
2. Tap the blue plus sign (+) located on your profile photo.
3. Take a photo or upload one for your Story.
4. In the top menu, tap the chain link icon that appears. (If your account isn’t Instagram-verified or you don’t have 10,000 followers, you won’t be able to see or use this feature).
5. Open a new tab on your phone’s preferred web browser and go to the site you want to link in your Story.
6. Copy the site URL then re-open the Instagram app.
7. Paste the URL into the Story link box.
8. Tap Done in the upper right corner to finalise your Story.
9. Tap Your Story to publish and share your link with your followers.
- embed type
- embed type
Related coverage from
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.