- Jeff Bezos is the the world’s richest person, with a net worth of $US183 billion, according to the Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index.
- In August 2020, the Amazon CEO became the first person in history to be worth $US200 billion, although his net worth his since dipped from that peak.
- Since the beginning of March, as most of the world’s richest people have been losing money during the pandemic, Bezos’ wealth has swelled by $US67 billion.
- Bezos is more than twice as rich as the entire British monarchy.
- He makes approximately $US2,219 per second – more than twice what the median US worker makes in a week.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, is worth $US183 billion, according to Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index.
In August, the Amazon CEO became the first person in history to be worth $US200 billion as Amazon sales surged during the coronavirus pandemic, but his net worth has since dipped back down.
Bezos is about more than twice as rich as the British monarchy, which has an estimated net worth of $US88 billion. He retained his ranking as the world’s richest person even after his 2019 divorce from MacKenzie Bezos. She kept a 4% stake in Amazon, which now makes her the third-richest woman in the world.
Though Jeff Bezos’ annual salary is only $US81,840, most of his wealth comes from his Amazon shares. The world’s richest man makes $US2,219 per second â€” more than twice what the median US worker makes in one week, according to Business Insider’s calculations.
Here are 11 mind-blowing facts that show just how wealthy Bezos really is.
1. Bezos is worth $US183 billion despite being paid an annual salary of just $US81,840, less than what most US representatives take home.
Of course, a large portion of Bezos’ wealth is tied to Amazon stock, not his salary.
Business Insider calculated how much Bezos has made in the past 12 months, based on the change in his net worth year-over-year.
Since mid-September 2019, Bezos’ fortune has grown by $US70 billion.
It’s even more impressive if you break that down to how much Bezos makes every day, every hour, and even every second.
2. Bezos makes $US2,219 per second — more than twice what the median US worker makes in one week.
That’s $US133,181 per minute.
That means that in just one minute, the Amazon chief makes more than three times what the median US worker makes in a year: about $US41,000, according to Bureau of Labour Statistics data.
3. After divorcing his wife MacKenzie in 2019 and giving up 25% of the Amazon stock owned by the couple, Bezos retained his ranking as the richest person in the world.
4. With his $US183 billion, Bezos has a net worth equivalent to nearly 40% of the top 100 US college endowments.
The five richest colleges in the US in 2018 based on the size of their endowments were Harvard University, with $US38.3 billion, the University of Texas system, with $US30.9 billion, and Yale University, with $US29.4 billion, Stanford University with $US26.5 billion, and Princeton University with $US25.9 billion.
Bezos’ fortune is greater than those five universities’ endowments combined – with more than $US30 billion to spare.
5. Bezos is so rich that an average American spending $US1 is similar to Bezos spending about $US1.9 million.
The median net worth of an average US household is $US97,300. Dividing $US183 billion by $US97,300 comes to about $US1.9 million.
6. The Amazon CEO is more than twice as rich as the British monarchy.
The British royal family was worth an estimated $US88 billion in 2017, according to Forbes.
7. Bezos’ net worth is greater than the GDP of Iceland, Luxembourg, and Sri Lanka — combined.
Iceland’s GDP is $US24.2 billion, Luxembourg’s is $US71.1 billion, and Sri Lanka’s is $US84 billion, for a total of about $US179 billion, according to The World Bank.
8. Since Bezos surpassed Bill Gates as the world’s richest person in October 2017, the Amazon CEO has nearly doubled his wealth.
When he overtook the Microsoft cofounder, Bezos’ net worth was a mere $US92.8 billion.
9. According to the Social Security Administration, the average American man with a bachelor’s degree will earn about $US2.2 million in his lifetime. Bezos makes that in under 17 minutes.
According to the SSA, the average American woman with a bachelor’s degree will earn $US1.3 million in her lifetime.
Bezos, who has a bachelor’s degree from Princeton University, makes $US133,181 every minute, according to Business Insider’s calculations.
10. Even if a moderate wealth tax had been implemented in America almost 40 years ago, Bezos would still be the third-richest person in the world.
At the end of 2018, Bezos was worth $US160 billion.
If the US had introduced a moderate wealth tax in 1982 – when the first Forbes 400 data on American billionaires was published – his net worth would now be about half that, or $US86.8 billion, according to a recent study published in Brookings Papers on Economic Activity.
A wealth tax has been a hot topic among the 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, with both former candidates Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren calling for increased taxes on the super-rich.
11. Bezos lost more money in 2019 than almost any other billionaire in the world, but he’s still the richest of them all.
The Amazon CEO’s net worth took a hit of more than $US10 billion in 2019 – but he’s still on top.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.