- Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world.
- The Amazon CEO is worth an estimated $US121 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
- Here are nine mind-blowing facts that show just how wealthy Bezos really is, from how much money he makes per second to how much richer he is than the British royal family.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Bezos will even retain his ranking as the world’s richest person following his divorce from MacKenzie Bezos. She’ll keep a 4% stake in Amazon worth roughly $US35.7 billion, making her the third-richest woman in the world.
Though Jeff Bezos’ annual salary is only $US81,840, most of his wealth comes from his Amazon shares. The world’s richest man makes $US2,489 per second, or more than twice what the median US worker makes in one week, according to Business Insider’s calculations last year.
Here are nine mind-blowing facts that show just how wealthy Bezos really is.
1. Bezos is worth $US121 billion despite being paid an annual salary of just $US81,840, less than what most US representatives take home.
Of course, a large portion of Bezos’ wealth is tied to Amazon stock, not his salary.
Business Insider last year calculated how much Bezos actually makes in a year, based on the change in his net worth year-over-year, and found it to be closer to $US8.9 million.
It’s even more impressive if you break that down to how much Bezos makes every day, every hour, and even every second.
2. Bezos makes $US2,489 per second — more than twice what the median US worker makes in one week.
That’s $US149,353 per minute.
As Business Insider’s Hillary Hoffower previously reported, that means that in just one minute, the Amazon chief makes more than three times what the median US worker makes in a year: about $US47,000, according to Bureau of Labour Statistics data.
3. After divorcing MacKenzie Bezos and giving up 25% of the Amazon stock owned by the couple, Jeff Bezos will keep his ranking as the richest person in the world.
4. With his $US121 billion, Bezos has a net worth equivalent to 30% of the top 100 US college endowments.
The three richest colleges in the US last year based on the size of their endowments were Harvard University, with $US38.3 billion, the University of Texas system, with $US30.9 billion, and Yale University, with $US29.4 billion.
Bezos’ fortune is greater than those three universities’ endowments combined – with more than $US22 billion to spare.
5. Bezos is so rich that an average American spending $US1 is similar to Bezos spending $US1.2 million.
The median net worth of an average US household is $US97,300. Dividing $US121 billion by $US97,300 comes to about $US1.2 million.
6. The Amazon CEO is nearly 38% richer than the British monarchy.
The British royal family was worth an estimated $US88 billion in 2017, according to Forbes.
7. Bezos is worth about the equivalent of the entire gross domestic product of Angola.
8. Bezos’ net worth is greater than the GDP of Iceland, Afghanistan, and Costa Rica — combined.
Iceland’s GDP is about $US31.6 billion, Afghanistan’s is $US22.9 billion, and Costa Rica’s is $US64.9 billion.
9. According to the Social Security Administration, the average American man with a bachelor’s degree will earn about $US2.2 million in his lifetime. Bezos makes that in just under 15 minutes.
According to the SSA, the average American woman with a bachelor’s degree will earn $US1.3 million in her lifetime.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.