- Patrick Reed won the Masters, holding off challenges from some of golf’s biggest names.
- Reed won the green jacket, but will also take home nearly $US2 million.
- The Masters’ purse overall is $US11.0 million, second only to the U.S. Open.
Patrick Reed won the Masters, holding off challenges from some of golf’s biggest names.
Winning The Masters is one of the most prestigious achievements in golf. The winner gets the iconic green jacket, cements himself in the annals of sporting history forever – and takes home quite a bit of money as well.
This year, Patrick Reed took home $US1.98 million for coming in first place at the tournament.
To put that in perspective, that is more than he won in his first 12 events of the year, where he won $US1.47 million, combined. Also. his $US3.5 million in earnings this season on the PGA Tour is already more than he won in 29 events last season ($US3.1 million).
Overall, the Masters’ total purse is a whopping $US11 million, second only to the U.S. Open regarding prize money among golf majors.
Here’s what the purse for each of the four majors will be in the 2017-18 PGA Tours season, according to the PGA Tour:
U.S. Open: $US12.0 million
The Master’s: $US11.0 million
PGA Championship: $US10.5 million
British Open: $US10.3 million
And here’s what the overall winner of each major took home in individual prize money during the previous PGA Tour season:
U.S. Open: $US2.16 million (Brooks Koepka)
The Masters: $US1.98 million (Patrick Reed)
PGA Championship: $US1.89 million (Justin Thomas)
British Open: $US1.85 million (Jordan Spieth)
Of the non-major tournaments, The Players Championship had the highest purse in 2017, at $US10.5 million.
More Patrick Reed coverage:
- Golf’s newest major champion has a complicated past that has already made him one of the sport’s most controversial figures
- Meet Patrick Reed, the controversial Masters champion whose wife was his caddy and who hasn’t talked to his family in 6 years
- Patrick Reed did not wear his signature colour at the Masters and he likely won’t be allowed to wear it at the majors anytime soon
- Unlikely Masters winner Patrick Reed credits his success to listening to a specific song before play – and it holds an important lesson on peak performance
- Patrick Reed more than doubled his season money total by winning the Masters
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.