- Netflix offers three streaming plans, and two DVD and Blu-ray plans, each of which has a different price.
- Netflix’s streaming plans cost $US8.99 per month for the Basic plan, $US13.99 per month for the Standard, and $US17.99 per month for the Premium.
- The Standard DVD and Blu-ray plan starts at $US7.99 per month, and the Premier plan starts at $US11.99 per month.
- Depending on the Netflix plan you choose, you’ll have access to Ultra HD video, and the ability to stream on multiple screens at once.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Whether you use Netflix in addition to cable television or as a replacement, most people would agree that it’s become nearly essential. With a vast library of TV shows, movies, and Netflix original programming, Netflix has become a cultural juggernaut of the 21st century.
Like its competitors, Netflix offers a variety of subscription tiers, which differ on price and features. In the US, Netflix even still offers the ability to order DVD and Blu-ray discs in the mail.
Here’s a guide to what Netflix charges for each of its plans.
How much Netflix’s streaming plans cost
Netflix offers three streaming plans: Basic, Standard, and Premium, starting at $US9 per month and ending at $US18 per month. Here’s what you get with each plan.
- Basic. The Basic streaming plan costs $US8.99 per month and has the most limited features. You can only use it on a single screen at a time (which is fine if you’re the only user of the account), and resolution is limited to standard definition (SD), which is equivalent to old, pre-HD television.
- Standard. The Standard streaming plan costs $US13.99 per month and allows you two watch on two screens at a time in high definition (HD).
- Premium. The Premium streaming plan costs $US17.99 per month. For that, you can watch on four screens at once (ideal for a large family), and you can video programming in HD or 4K Ultra HD, if available.
How much Netflix’s DVD and Blu-ray plans costs
In the US, Netflix continues to offer discs by mail at dvd.netflix.com. This was, in fact, the way Netflix originally delivered its content â€” via DVD â€” when it launched in 1998. It added streaming video in 2007, and DVD rentals declined rapidly. Today, it’s still an option, though an uncommon one.
Here are the pricing plans.
- Standard. The Standard DVD plan costs $US7.99 per month. If you prefer Blu-ray, the cost is $US9.99 per month. In both cases, Netflix allows you to keep one disc at a time for as long as you want (as soon as you return that disc, Netflix immediately sends you the next disc listed in your queue). There’s no limit to how many discs you can watch over time, though â€” the only limitation is how quickly you can watch and return discs.
- Premier. The Premier DVD plan allows you to keep two discs at a time for $US11.99 per month, or $US14.99 per month for Blu-rays. Otherwise, the plan works the same as the Standard plan.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.