- Some people just can’t handle the truth.
- What is the truth you ask? Well, reader, it turns out that cashews grow on trees out of a kind of shell that is called a “cashew apple.”
- The world’s awakening to this started with a Collen Ballinger tweet.
- After learning of this, people shared their disbelief on – where else? – Twitter.
- Call it a hot take, or a nutty take, call it irrelevant, but you’ll probably never look at cashews the same again.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Some people just can’t handle the truth. Many learned that the hard way this week when a picture of how cashews are grown was posted online, and the entire fabric of the universe was destroyed.
OK, not really.
It all started with a tweet from creator Collen Ballinger.
“I was today years old when I learned that this is how cashews grow,” she wrote.
i was today years old when i learned that this is how cashews grow. pic.twitter.com/nPufY9M4Bl
— Colleen Ballinger???? (@ColleenB123) September 12, 2019
Evidently so were many others. The tweet went massively viral, with many sharing their utter confusion. But before we go there, let’s take a minute and talk about cashews.
How do cashews grow?
Cashews, which are found in Brazil and India mainly, grow on cashew trees. Next question.
Well, OK, there’s a little more to it, Britannica notes. The nut that everyone is familiar with actually grows out of something called a “cashew apple,” as shown in the mind-blowing tweet. The “cashew apple,” which is usually red or yellow, is an accessory fruit.
Further causing a disconnect between the viral tweet and a bucket of office trail mix, the picture revealed that cashews grow in shells and need to cracked open, as other nuts do. The difference here is that cashews are not sold in-shell, because their shells contain an oily resin which can cause blisters to human skin, similar to poison ivy.
People are truly mind-blown.
Although this isn’t new information or even the first time this has come up, people are still struggling to come to terms with the shocking revelation.
Today I learned cashew nuts grow from cashew apples pic.twitter.com/NXxMiv3E3o
— kayloha (@kaylam_o) September 11, 2019
Wow! Who knew cashews look like angry, old men yelling at you to get off their lawn as they grow? They taste so much better than they look! https://t.co/EOMBqd7HAS
— Bumble????✈✒????☕ (@Bumble6671) September 12, 2019
Now you’ll never look at these nuts the same way again.
- Read more:
- The woman who went viral for dipping chicken fingers in soda at the US Open last year now has her own food show
- KFC is throwing weddings for 6 couples that come with a food truck and enough fried chicken to feed 200 guests
- 15 new foods to add to your grocery cart this month
- I only ate home-cooked food for a month, and I felt healthier, saved money, and became a better chef
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.