- The Milwaukee Bucks big man Giannis Antetokounmpo was named the NBA MVP on Monday night, beating out the Houston Rockets superstar James Harden.
- After Antetokounmpo won the award, the Rockets awkwardly made the case on Twitter that Harden was the one deserving of the recognition.
- NBA fans were quick to roast the Rockets for what they perceived as poor sportsmanship.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
On Monday night, the race for NBA MVP came to a close, with the Milwaukee Bucks big man Giannis Antetokounmpo taking home the hardware over the Houston Rockets superstar James Harden.
It was a choice that few could argue with – Antetokounmpo finished the season averaging almost 28 points, 13 rebounds, and six assists per game, all while also serving as the centrepiece of the Bucks defence.
But while the basketball world celebrated Antetokounmpo’s coronation, the Rockets awkwardly argued Harden’s case on Twitter.
While Harden does check off every mark on the list that the Rockets decided warrants MVP consideration, the tweets came off to many as forced, tone-deaf, and embarrassing. Had the account simply left things at “we respectfully disagree,” the post would have been read as standard NBA Twitter fare, even a bit cute.
But “respectful disagreement” is immediately undercut when you follow it up with a résumé of Harden’s credentials over Antetokounmpo’s.
On Twitter, fans were quick to roast the Rockets for their perceived slight against the new MVP.
This franchise is so embarrassing
— محسن مرز ۱ (@mohsinmirza1) June 25, 2019
— Bron = ???? (@LeGOATRJamez) June 25, 2019
That's really all you had to do. Either that or nothing.
— Bay Area Sports Guy (@BASportsGuy) June 25, 2019
(((BOI U SOUR))) pic.twitter.com/nglCffbOtw
— Alfonso Del Quan (@thehalestone) June 25, 2019
Harden and Giannis are both great players who had phenomenal seasons, but in the end, Antetokounmpo earned 78 first-place votes, while Harden received 23.
Now that the awards have been distributed, the 2019 season is officially in the books, and NBA free agency can finally begin.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta:
- An NBA prospect’s draft party erupted when he was picked just as everybody appeared to be giving up hope
- There’s a budding rap battle between 2 NBA stars, and other players are taking sides
- An eyebrow-raising $US10,000 bet was placed on the Lakers just minutes before the team traded for Anthony Davis
- Kawhi Leonard made fun of his awkward laugh while celebrating at the Raptors’ championship parade
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.