Today is National Chicken Wing Day, which means that restaurants across the country will offer specials on wings.
One of those restaurants is Hooters, which is offering a $12.99 all-you-can-eat wing deal and challenging Americans to consume a million wings.
It seems doable, if ambitious: The chain told The Tampa Bay Times in 2011 that it sells more than 2 million wings on Super Bowl Sunday, about four times what Hooter’s sells on a typical day.
The wing mecca also hosted wing-eating contest where professional eater Joey Chestnut devoured 179 Hooters wings in 10 minutes.
The chain offered some tips that that everyone should remember while devouring all-you-can-eat wings:
- Choose your clothes wisely. “Your bib is your first line of wing sauce defence. Your tee shirt, the second.”
- It’s not a bad idea to exercise before, during, and after. “Exercising during the competition can make room for more wings. Exercising after, do we need to explain why?”
- Remember to breathe through your nose. “Mouth breathers are slow eaters.”
- Choose your beverage carefully. “Milk can help ease the delicious burn of the wing spice.”
- Focus on the wings. “Remember: this is National Chicken Wing Day, not National Sides Day.”
- Perfect your wing-eating technique with practice.
- Don’t give up! “Wing eating is 90% mental. Overcome your brain and nothing will stand in your way — except for that huge pile of wings.”
- And finally: “Most importantly, if you start feeling full and think you need a break, order more wings.”
Check out the pictures from the Hooters World Wing-Eating Championship competition below.
16 competitive eaters were pitted against each other for the Hooter’s title of 2013 Hooters Worldwide Wing-Eating Champion.
They had 10 minutes to eat as many of Hooters “world famous chicken wings” as they possibly could.
A man named Chestnut from San Jose, California won by devouring 179 chicken wings in total. That averages to almost 18 chicken wings per minute.
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.