Yeah, Hilary Swank and Jean-Claude Van Damme played their recent trip to Chechnya very, very wrong. Here’s an itemized list of their mistakes.
1. Unlike Eva Mendes and Kevin Costner, Swank and Van Damme RSVPed “yes” to the birthday party of Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, who’s accused of allowing widespread abduction and torture of his constituents.
2. Swank’s manager confirmed that she would not be attending on Sept. 26.
3. Swank and Van Damme jetted off to the party — which reportedly had a “portraits of the evil leader everywhere” theme.
4. Presumably having glanced around the room and finding they knew nobody else, Swank and Van Damme figured no one would ever hear they’d showed up.
5. Oh, right, except for a little thing called YouTube.
6. Swank went onstage to wish Kadyrov a happy birthday.
7. Van Damme went onstage to say — and we’re quoting here — “I love you, Mr. Kadyrov.”
8. They went home with estimated six-figure checks in their pockets.
Start picking out charities, kids. And about a year’s worth of movie and TV roles that are well beneath your pre-Kadyrov pedigree.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.