Low-budget horror movies have
been killing it (no pun intended) at the box officeover the past year.
One things clear, audiences have a hunger for horror.
In honour of the holidays, we’ve compiled the highest-grossing horror movies at the box office.
Despite the newer crop of box-office hits, it’s the older movies — “Jaws” and “The Exorcist” — that still reign supreme over time at theatres.
The list has been compiled according to worldwide grosses.
All of these numbers are for domestic figures, not worldwide grosses.
What's notable here is how many movies differ on this list including the additions of 'Psycho,' 'The Amityville Horror,' and 'Poltergeist.' Those films don't have any overseas box office amounts recorded. The most recent films on the list are three from the '90s and, what may come as a surprise, a Harrison Ford DreamWorks' scare.
1. 'Jaws' (1975): $US1 billion
2. 'The Exorcist (1973): $830.8 million
3. 'The Sixth Sense' (1999): $US463.5 million
4. 'Psycho' (1960): $US343.5 million
5. 'The Amityville Horror' (1979): $US277 million
6. 'Jaws 2' (1978): $US267.4 million
7. 'What Lies Beneath' (2000): $US232.2 million
8. 'The Blair Witch Project' (1999): $US222.7 million
9. 'Poltergeist' (1982): $US209.8 million
10. 'Interview with the Vampire' (1994): $US202.3 million
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.